Kidney disease and diet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
chaseautin
New Cat Chatter

Re: Kidney disease and diet

Post by chaseautin »

Inappropriate dosing in patients with kidney disease can cause toxicity. In particular, older patients are at a higher risk of developing advanced disease and related adverse events caused by age-related decline in renal function and the use of multiple medications to treat comorbid conditions.

Edited to remove links. Cat Chat would always reccomend speaking to your vet before making any changes to medication.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kidney disease and diet

Post by Mollycat »

Screen25 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:51 pm Sorry me again.

Does anyone here have experience Here of the cat urinating outside the litter tray. Dolly has occasionally urinated outside the tray and it seems to have resumed the past two days once with her peeing on a towel on the floor and she has just urinated in the bath tub. There is no blood or crystals. Other than this she has been using her litter tray as normal. She started doing this immediately after her diagnosis two months ago but the vet said it could be stress due to the number of vet visits at that time,She hasn’t done it for the past month so I assumed it was stress however the past two days she is now done it twice. Do you think this is related to the condition?
Hello, hoping you're still around - for unrelated reasons I've been researching mineral deficiencies. Next time you see your vet, ask about magnesium. Magnesium is among the minerals that can become unbalanced when the kidneys don't work as well as they should. Too much can cause kidney stones if urine pH is too low, which it can be in CKD cats drinking excessively. This would be one very good reason not to feed an advanced CKD diet too early in the progression of CKD - nutritional needs change as the condition develops.

It's also important to know there are different kinds of crystals that can appear in cat urine. This article might be of interest to crystal-prone cats https://www.hillspet.com/pet-care/healt ... -treatment