Persistent diarrhoea in both cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MRose
New Cat Chatter

Persistent diarrhoea in both cats

Post by MRose »

Hi,

I’m hoping someone may be able to advise us and to see whether anyone else has gone through anything similar.

About 6 months ago we brought home a rescue kitten. Not long after we brought her home she started having diarrhoea and was gassy. This persisted over about 2-3 months or so and worsened to the point it was leaking out her bottom all around the house. We tried fortiflora probiotics, worming tablets and metronidazole. About a week after finishing this medication it cleared up. Around this time our older cat started having diarrhoea with mucas and blood in it. She tried fortiflora, wormers and metronidazole too in addition to having an anti inflammatory injection. The diarrhoea in our older cat is still persistent although since the injection and medication there has been no blood (touch wood). I should note that with both cats they would also have the odd normal poo. Our younger kitten started having diarrhoea again a few weeks ago and this appears to be getting worse again like before. She’s had another course of metronidazole but this does not appear to have helped. The next step is to do a fecal screening test however we are also thinking of trying some better quality cat food too as it is becoming so expensive with the vet consultations and we are struggling. The vet doesn’t seem too concerned however this has now been going on for 6 months between them and is becoming a bit of a nightmare for all of us.

Any advice or similar situations for anyone?

Thanks!
Last edited by MRose on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Persistent diarrhoea in both cats

Post by Mollycat »

The only time I ever had a cat on Fortiflora it made the Dire Rear 10 times worse. It doesn't suit all cats.

Has the vet ever given an injection of vitamin B, or suggested trying Cobalaplex? Have you given pumpkin, or Pro-kolin?

The trouble with antibiotics is that side effects include diarrhoea, and that long term diarrhoea leads to chronic nutritional deficiencies, notably in the B vitamins, potassium, and other micronutrients that help stop diarrhoea. Nutrients are not absorbed because everything is whooshing through the gut too fast. Antibiotics really mess up the gut.

Vets don't always try the simplest options first.
MRose
New Cat Chatter

Post by MRose »

This is helpful thank you. No they haven’t been given vitamin b injections or cobalaplex. We did try pumpkin for about a week or so but it didn’t appear to make a difference. They usually alternate between whiskers and applause food (mainly whiskers) but I am thinking of just sticking with applause and getting some better quality dry food like Scrubles. We haven’t tried pro kolin either so I will look into this! Thank you!
Indyhorselover
New Cat Chatter

Post by Indyhorselover »

Oh my gosh! My daughters cats, many of them (she has 10 now, all rescues), have the exact same problem! Gassy diarrhea sometimes with blood in it! The poor things seem to be trying to continue going poo even once finished. We did an expensive fecal sample test that came back negative but the very next day I SAW white icky tapeworms in the diarrhea! So the vet said she thinks the labs might have missed the round worms too. She gave us enough worming meds for all of her cats & kittens and we bought over-the-counter Tapeworm pills too (the vets meds do not cover tapeworms for some reason :roll: !). It seemed to be getting better for a couple weeks but now several of them have it again (the diarrhea not the tapeworms). She even tried specialty catfood - dehydrated rabbit based food. She feeds them Iams catfood now. I hope your cats do better than these. The vet didn’t seem worried about it either. :o