LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BOUT OF CYSTITIS FOR BARNEY SO WORRIED

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BOUT OF CYSTITIS FOR BARNEY SO WORRIE

Post by Jan »

Crewella wrote:Hi Jan, glad to hear Blackie's still doing OK. I remember his episodes. xx

You probably know all this, Julie, but to explain (just in case and to stop you worrying), both Blackie and Daz (and Midnight, I believe) have an additional complication in that not only do they get cystitis, but they are also prone to urinary blockages when they do get a cystitis flare-up.

The cystitis is bad enough, let's hope poor Barney doesn't have to contend with blockages as well. xx
I hope so too x

I've no wish to alarm Julie - I'd never heard of Feline Idiopathic Cystitis at the time of Blackie's first bout - I had to ask the vet when we took him back the next day to explain it all to me. I didn't know what idiopathic meant either :oops: so he said it meant 'no known cause - in other words no blockages of stones, crystals etc'.

For Julie's info, when I told the vet about the enormous changes that had taken place in Blackie's life over the previous 10 months, going in a cattery, then coming out, then back in again (several times), then being taken to a totally different environment (our home), as well as him being the runt of a litter, he said that went a long way to explaining why his cystitis developed. Blackie probably missed my mother with whom he'd lived for 10 years in a very quiet environment and left on his own for the most part. I used to feel sorry for him, even though he was such an unfriendly individual at that time.

Blackie's circumstances may well have contributed to his FIC, but there's no doubt in my mind that the 1 x Cystophan and 60-100ml of water a day has significantly helped him more than the Hills c/d diet he was originally put on, even though he was fed on a wet diet all his life. That ... and an awful lot of love and fussing over - he seems to have taken over the house and our lives! No wonder my MIL bought a plaque to put on the front porch wall ... 'A Cat and Its Staff Live Here' :lol:

Lots of hugs to you, Julie, and Barney xx Please let us know how he's coming along.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry Jan, I know you wouldn't want to alarm anyone, I'm so sorry if it sounded like that.

I have fed Daz the c/d food as it should help with the formation of crystals, though he wouldn't eat the pouches, but I totally agree about the added water and Cystophan. I'm so glad Blackie's doing so much better. xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

No probs Crewella .. I was really just trying to reassure Julie that Blackie had some extenuating circumstances that might have caused his cystitis.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's OK then - just wanted to make sure! :D
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi ladies

Please rest assured, neither of you have you alarmed me in the least way possible, bless you :)

I am the sort of person in any case that calls " a spade a spade" I would much prefer to hear the reality of what has happened in your experiences, its absolutely invauable to me, I honestly mean that, so please, please do not hold back, it really will not alarm me any more than I alarm myself by not knowing what could happen.

I have been looking at Royal Canin Urinary wet food pouches in chicken and have noriced that Feliway now do a 'Cystease' capsule which sounds identical to Cystophan too. Another question sorry ! Zyklene has been mentioned, it looks like it is something to 'calm down' cats, would this be useful, does anyone know ?...Just getting worried as we go away the end of May and Barney will be looked after by the in laws, and he is very clingy to me all the time....xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yes, I believe the Cystease is pretty much identical. There are other products out there that are also similar, but not all have the l-tryptophan that helps them deal with the stress.

I'm afraid I've never tried zylkene. I've never really been convinced that Daz's cystitis is related to stress, as he's a very, very laid-back smiley kind of cat, and the most stressful events in his life like being trapped, our move to this house and my attempts to introduce Baxter (who scared the life out of him) into our gang did not lead to a bout of cystitis.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Helen,

Same here regarding the stress thing, Barney is pretty laid back, he sits in our garden with his 2 'friends ', and really seems to enjoy his little life, he's a happy little boy.

I know he had a rotten time before we had him, so being spoilt rotten here and ruling the roost makes him so happy.....Its just this re-occurence of his cystitis that bothers me, I would do anything to make it better for him. I just worry that once the anti biotics end, it will start all over again, so I am looking at every option, without having to resort to him having to stay overnight at the vets for a scan which will stress him even more.....xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I give Tiffany Vet UK's Bladder Nutriment, as I find the capsules easier to open than any of the other kinds - they don't contain the anti-stress stuff though

Tiffany's stress is a bit unpredictable - she gets herself in a right state at the vets, to the extent they won't handle her without sedating her first, but she never wees or poos in her carrier, is fine once home, and never gets cystitis, however stressful the visit - in fact it's me and the vet who need stress medication

but the right tizzy she gets into if a strange cat comes sniffing around the fence of the enclosure has set her off weeing for Wales in the past
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

JulieandBarney wrote:Hi ladies

Please rest assured, neither of you have you alarmed me in the least way possible, bless you :)

I am the sort of person in any case that calls " a spade a spade" I would much prefer to hear the reality of what has happened in your experiences, its absolutely invauable to me, I honestly mean that, so please, please do not hold back, it really will not alarm me any more than I alarm myself by not knowing what could happen.

I have been looking at Royal Canin Urinary wet food pouches in chicken and have noriced that Feliway now do a 'Cystease' capsule which sounds identical to Cystophan too. Another question sorry ! Zyklene has been mentioned, it looks like it is something to 'calm down' cats, would this be useful, does anyone know ?...Just getting worried as we go away the end of May and Barney will be looked after by the in laws, and he is very clingy to me all the time....xx
Hello again Julie.

Zyklene certainly won't do any harm - and well worth trying. The vet recommended I put Blackie on it (2 x day) for 3 weeks after his 2nd cystitis bout and even suggested I keep him on it permanently. I didn't want to do this because I wanted to 'save' it for stressful events such as car travel back + forth down to NSomerset every 2/3 months. If he'd had a 3rd bout of cystitis not long after the 2nd, obviously I would have followed the vet's advice.

I also use Pet Remedy plug-ins for the room he sleeps in (that is when he's not coming into our bedroom and jumping on me in the middle of the night!). I think they work better than Feliway, at least for Blackie. Even I can smell them - and I'm told I have an appalling sense of smell.

I'm using Zyklene at the moment on Blackie because we have my MIL coming to stay for a week and that may stress him a bit - he likes my OH and me all to himself. He's not a laid back individual, at all unfortunately - jumps at the slightest noise, used to run upstairs if the doorbell rang but has now got brave enough to just run off into another room. I think being the runt of the litter has made him this way - certainly the vet who treated him for cystitis thought so.

Hope this brings a smile ... I was laying on the bedroom floor doing some exercises for my back earlier this evening when in comes Blackie and starts rolling on the floor with me. I couldn't do the exercises for laughing :lol:
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Jan

That did make me smile !!! :lol: :lol:

Barney hates. with a passion, me tapping away on the keyboard ! As soon as he starts getting annoyed, he jumps up and sits his bum on the keys...!!! If I try to continue by even moving him slightly, he will bite me on the nose as I lean forward :o

This morning at 5am he decides that he is tired of waiting for me to wake up, so starts 'doing the dough' on my bladder :oops: That definitely got me up !!!!!..... :?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Barney obviously knows how devoted you are, Julie, and decided that you could have a sore bladder too in sympathy for him! :P

Blackie must have heard of dog yoga 'doga' and was trying the cat version. That did make me smile! :D