Feline leukaemia

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Feline leukaemia

Post by Marmalade77 »

Hi all

I recently adopted two cats, age 5 and 4 and thought to be father and son. The owner had died and it is unknown if they were tested for, or had been vaccinated again the leukaemia virus. They had their first vaccine 12 days ago and have both developed a swelling at the site of vaccination. I previously had a cat that this used to happen to and it was a benign reaction. However what is concerning me is that it has occurred to both of them. I have spoken to my vet who said to keep an eye on it and that it is unlucky that it's happened to both of them. I'm now having concerns. I'm figuring it could be a benign reaction but am also worrying its because they are already infected with the virus and hence the antibodies are reacting at the site. I'm also wondering if they have been infected with leukaemia virus but are now immune, which again would result in them having antibodies.
Does anyone have experience of this or have your cats reacted to the vaccine before? I have read about vaccine induced sarcomas but I'm not considering this. They did live in a cattery for a while..

Thanks for any advice. I am going to discuss this further with my vet and get them tested but in the meantime I am stressing a little.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Feline leukaemia

Post by Meandmymunki »

Hi, I have a cat that had an allergic reaction to the felv part of his vaccine that needed emergency vet visit, after the reaction was treated he had a lump at injection site that lasted about 3 weeks, I would imagine it's more likely they have both reacted slightly to the vaccine rather than it suggesting possible infection with felv. It's a nasty virus and I imagine at least one, if not both, would be showing signs of ill health if they had anything going on.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

Thanks - that's what i am hoping, although I read it can be asymptomatic for a few years. One of them
Just had to have a tooth removed (he's 4yrs old) so now I'm worrying its dental disease due to felv rather than regular dental disease!
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes it's easy to think the worst once the seed is planted in your mind isn't it! Fingers x'd you get negatives from the blood tests.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

Yep it sure is! The cats are not due back until a week tomorrow (for 2nd vaccination, which vet is injecting at another site in body) so I'll ask about getting them tested then. I've read that the vaccine shouldn't interfere with test.
stevex2
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by stevex2 »

hi, some good information on Felv here, more importantly you test before you vaccinate.

http://www.dr-addie.com/downloads/660_felv.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

Thanks. Since the lumps appeared I have read that about testing first. My vet didn't mention it though so I didn't realise, but I also read that some don't bother as it's more cost and giving the vaccine won't make a difference.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

Read your link - reading everything I can! It specifically mentions a lump forming so I'll still get them tested but will try not to worry too much until I know.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

Cats been to vets, second inoculation in bottom/hip area and tested for felv (also fiv while at it). Will know results next Friday.
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Hi,
Two of my four cats developed lumps/cysts at the site of vaccination-1 had surgery to remove the lump. Neither were tested positive for FELV. It is an unusual phenomena. Hope your little kitty is now Ok.

B
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

Sorry - meant to report back sooner. Both cats developed lumps on their hip on their second injection, but both also tested negative for fell antigen (meaning current infection). Fantastic news. Therefore they either just both reacted due to unknown reasons OR possibly infected in the past and have antibodies already so reacted to vaccination. Either way the do not have fell so its such a relief. They were also teated for FIV at the time, just to have a check up, and were negative for that too.

Thanks for your replies.
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

2 of my 4 reacted with lumps to their vaccinations. I too panicked but all was fine x