cat urinary issues/crystals/inflammation? current vet not helpful. please would like some advice.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sunshineflower4242
New Cat Chatter

cat urinary issues/crystals/inflammation? current vet not helpful. please would like some advice.

Post by sunshineflower4242 »

my male cat has been having some urinary problem i did an xray vet said hes not blocked. and i did a urine test and these are the results. i was given hills c/d diet. what are your thought on this urine test results. is there inflammation present, infection or maybe kidney problem, bladder problem, genital problem, uti? he pees multiple times in a row.

color: yellow
appearance: slightly hazy
specific gravity: 1.070 (high)
pH: 6.5
protein: 2+ (high)
glucose: negative
ketone: negative
bilirubin: negative
blood: negative
WBC: 0-1
RBC- 0-1
casts: none seen
struvite crystals: 4-10
amorphous crystals: 4-10
bacteria: none seen
transitional epithelia: 0-1
squamous epithelia: 0-1

please give me your input on these results. is the hills c/d enough or might he need some kind of medication? will the hills c/d help with this

i ended up going back to the same vet a month later he would not return my calls and at the appointment he said that the protein indicates inflammation but he wouldn't give me any anti biotic or anti inflammatory/medication. i really think an anti inflammatory would help along with the food. he said the hills cd helps with that but its been a month my cat has been on the hills cd and he personality is not the same he moslty sleeps. he used to be more energetic. i think a pain med would help.

does urinary inflammation require an anti inflammatory/medication or will the hills cd help with that?

his ph level is normal 6.5. i dont want the hills cd to lower it to much and cause other issues. im thinking is the high protein (inflammation) is causesing the crystals then only an anti inflammatory would be needed and not be on the hills cd long term.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat urinary issues/crystals/inflammation? current vet not helpful. please would like some advice.

Post by Mollycat »

I would suggest if you're not comfortable with the answers from your vet is there anywhere you can get a second opinion?

Proteinuria can indicate inflammation but can also indicate the kidneys not working properly. As can high specific gravity.

Have any blood tests been done?

Increased urination can also be a sign of many other issues, including hyperthyroidism and more.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat urinary issues/crystals/inflammation? current vet not helpful. please would like some advice.

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

Hi my beautiful 19 year has kidney issues & had a urinary problem a few weeks back the vet recommended

feliway cystease

to help her in future - on going help for her & she is so much improved.
Really recommend it.
Hope it helps 🐾🐾