Cat vomiting every few weeks for 2 months

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jen_flor00
New Cat Chatter

Cat vomiting every few weeks for 2 months

Post by Jen_flor00 »

I’ve had my cat for a year and a half and he started vomiting every few weeks about two months ago. He had a full mouth extraction in December, he has been taking Prednisolone and has been eating Friskies Pate (variety flavors) ever since. He used to eat Blue’s sensitive stomach food. The vet says it’s not the medication. I attached pictures of the latest vomit. The second picture is a closeup of something I’ve seen in every vomit. I’ve looked through his food and can’t find anything that resembles this. I’m wondering if that is the cause of the vomit but I can’t figure out what it is.

Also, would giving the cat treats late a night be the cause of the vomit. Maybe they trick the stomach into producing acids and then have nothing to dissolve?
Attachments
Suspicious item in vomit
Suspicious item in vomit
7E7C5B74-33D6-4E00-85A9-1E1F06A175CC.jpeg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Cat vomit
Cat vomit
07ADEB6B-14EC-4E51-A8CE-209252089D0C.jpeg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat vomiting every few weeks for 2 months

Post by Kay »

looks like sweetcorn to me - does he go outside?

the obvious fur though suggests to me he's vomiting because of it, and I don't think I'd be too worried if it was my cat, as long as this was the only symptom
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

The suspect items look a lot like some kind of organic lining or skin to me, not tripe but looks like tripe, some kind of stomach or gut lining - is it rubbery in texture?

Cats (and dogs) can keep material in their stomach for some time, weeks or even months, before rejecting it. Could be something he ate a while ago.

As for the fur, this is a pet interest of mine. It should sit in the stomach until it has enough to form a hairball and then be brought up in a firm-ish sausage shaped mat. There has to be something amiss if he is bringing up loose hair not formed, and whatever those suspect chunks are could be guilty. Have you brought a sample to the vet?
Jen_flor00
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jen_flor00 »

Kay wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:49 pm looks like sweetcorn to me - does he go outside?

the obvious fur though suggests to me he's vomiting because of it, and I don't think I'd be too worried if it was my cat, as long as this was the only symptom
He is an indoors only cat. He has never had a problem with hair balls but I have been brushing him more often as I did suspect that he might be shedding right now.
Jen_flor00
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jen_flor00 »

Mollycat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:36 pm The suspect items look a lot like some kind of organic lining or skin to me, not tripe but looks like tripe, some kind of stomach or gut lining - is it rubbery in texture?

Cats (and dogs) can keep material in their stomach for some time, weeks or even months, before rejecting it. Could be something he ate a while ago.

As for the fur, this is a pet interest of mine. It should sit in the stomach until it has enough to form a hairball and then be brought up in a firm-ish sausage shaped mat. There has to be something amiss if he is bringing up loose hair not formed, and whatever those suspect chunks are could be guilty. Have you brought a sample to the vet?
The suspect item reminds of chicken skin, and it tears easy. I previously thought it could be hair balls so I’ve been brushing his fur more often but the vomiting continues. I’ve called the vet and told them about the vomiting but they seem unconcerned as it’s his only symptom.

I’ve been writing down everything I can remember from the day before he vomits but I don’t see any patterns.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

What is he taking prednisone for?
Jen_flor00
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jen_flor00 »

booktigger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 pm What is he taking prednisone for?
He has stomatitis. Which is why he had his teeth extracted. He still has a little bit of swelling.