cats/ food transition

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
simba86
Frequent Cat Chatter

cats/ food transition

Post by simba86 »

hello- both my cats, approx 9 month- have been on a raw diet, they both had no problems with it until recently. one has rejected it on/off for the past two months. sometimes loves it, then wont eat it for days/ vomits after eating, then he is fine with it a few days later and goes wild for it. we boiled and minced chicken and mixed it into that and he eats it fine, loves the chicken. im confused why this sudden rejection. its not his appetite as he will, if he can, eat anything else. i gave him a bit of lilys today and he loved it. is lilys any good? unsure of raw diet now, lilys seemed the best of the supermarket stuff with high protein and less junk in like other brands.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cats/ food transition

Post by Mollycat »

Maybe that particular bit of raw had something that made him reject it, could be he just had a bit of a bug and associates the food with feeling icky and doesn't want it now, or even feeling icky for no food related reason.

Can't comment on Lily's - entirely personal opinion but I don't buy anything labelled organic, I go by free range.

As a general principle though I try to bring cats up to be as flexible as possible about their food including raw, cooked fresh, different meats and fish, different brands and textures of wet food, different dry, and if possible (never successful yet because I keep getting older rescues) some raw bone.

My boy was raw fed before but from the moment he came to live with me he absolutely refused all raw, even from the same supplier that had been his food for years. Eventually I managed to get him to eat a little real meat, but it had to be cooked or at least sealed. I gave him a grain free tinned, none of it prevented him getting early kidney failure and some digestive system disease, probably either IBD or lymphoma. He went on to prescription food but steadily went downhill. I don't think there is a magic formula.
simba86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: cats/ food transition

Post by simba86 »

thank you for your reply. flexible seems liek the way to go.