Cat vomits after having cat milk

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Daisy Adair
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat vomits after having cat milk

Post by Daisy Adair »

My cat started to vomit after having a cat milk (Sainsbury's). It has happened 3 times so far. He normally likes it and even prefers Sainsbury's milk to other brands. He has become a bit of a fussy eater lately. I don't think he eats anywhere else, he's got a tag so hopefully people know he belongs to someone and is being fed. I waited for a week before giving him another plate of milk. It happens almost immediately after he has it, and he throws up just milk. HAs anyone have any idea what could it be the reason and do I have to take him to the vets? He doesn't seem low in mood, goes out and seems that in general he's OK. What could be the problem?TY
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat vomits after having cat milk

Post by fjm »

Does he vomit after any other food? If not I would suspect an intolerance - cats don't need milk, so just find another treat for him.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat vomits after having cat milk

Post by Ruth B »

Is it just the milk that makes him throw up, or is it after other foods or water as well, if it is then a vets trip is needed, if not then i would suspect an intolerance to the milk.

Cats normally don't drink milk after they have been weaned as kittens and most are lactose intolerant. Cat milk should be safe for them and lactose free, but it is possible that Sainsbury's have changed the formula and something in the new one doesn't agree with him. I would give it a few weeks to let his system settle back down and then try him on a different brand to see if he can stomach that, if he can then try the Sainsbury's again, and if he throws up you know it is something in their milk he can't manage, if he throws it all up you might have to take him off milk, cat or otherwise, entirely.

I did have one cat who loved milk but could not manage any of it, even cat milk was guaranteed to make him throw up, we just had to accept he couldn't have any milk.