Screams in distress before drinking water

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Myrna
New Cat Chatter

Screams in distress before drinking water

Post by Myrna »

Vet does not know why Princess is in so much distress as she attempts to drink. I think her whiskers are extra sensitive to the water. They curl very far down. Any ideas?

Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Screams in distress before drinking water

Post by Kay »

maybe try something like this to put the whiskers theory to the test?

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Ancol-Sippy-Wa ... OeEALw_wcB
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would suggest trying a variety of drinking bowls in a range of sizes and at different heights so see if she is happier using a specific type. You might also try a cat fountain that has running water as it might be that drinking from a steady stream would be more to her liking.

I will also add if she is on a dry food diet, you might want to change to a wet or even a raw food diet to make sure she gets enough fluid into her.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

My 19 year old screams you’d think she was being tortured I go rushing to her & she’s just looking at her water container - cut off 2lt drinks bottle - it’s her favourite one.
There is a very small amount missing that can be topped up & I guess sometimes she doesn’t want to get her paw wet & other times she doesn’t mind.?
Guess like us sometimes we just take a gulp from the bottle of water other times we pour in to a cup?
She’s kidney problems so her paw is more wet then dry most of the time 🤦🏻‍♀️.