CKD vomiting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

CKD vomiting

Post by Mollycat »

Molly always has to do things backwards bless her!

The whole two years since she was first CKD and now the first 5 days of being on a CKD food, no vomiting.

The last 3 days on the same CKD food, every morning, I'm woken up by her upchucking. The first couple of times there was food in it. This morning there's nothing, not even water, in the two places I saw her. And yet she has definitely eaten something before the second one.

I'm confused by this development, surely vomiting is a symptom of the disease so it shouldn't start 5 days into starting the treatment, and it can't be a reaction to the food because that would have happened sooner not after 5 days!

Anyway I know vomiting can be a reaction to an empty stomach but Molly is free fed and there is always food left in her bowl at the next meal time, I make sure I give her more than she is going to eat at every meal. So is there anything I can do about it?
stoorworm
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: CKD vomiting

Post by stoorworm »

Hello, hope Molly’s condition improves.
Has her vet put her on any anti-nausea meds?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

stoorworm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:10 pm Hello, hope Molly’s condition improves.
Has her vet put her on any anti-nausea meds?
No unfortunately she's not a medicatable cat, and difficult enough just to get to the vets!
At this stage it's only been 3 days of morning pookeys I'm looking for ideas on causes more than cures, it just seems odd that it's started now that she's on the better food for stopping it.
stoorworm
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stoorworm »

My kitty’s currently dealing with pancreatitis and he’s on some anti nausea meds. He won’t take pills no matter what so I get the pills crushed at the vet, mix them with some water, suck it up in an injector and inject it into his mouth.
Works wonders.

If recommended, you can even get the meds from your vet in pill form, use a pestle and mortar to crush them and do it all yourself.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

stoorworm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm My kitty’s currently dealing with pancreatitis and he’s on some anti nausea meds. He won’t take pills no matter what so I get the pills crushed at the vet, mix them with some water, suck it up in an injector and inject it into his mouth.
Works wonders.

If recommended, you can even get the meds from your vet in pill form, use a pestle and mortar to crush them and do it all yourself.
Yes I read your post, sorry your lad has been so unwell. I'm thinking whether there's anything I can helpfully offer.

No my cat can't be restrained, she's not so much unpillable as unmedicatable. If she won't eat in in her food, she's not having it. In the past she has not had Gabapentin, ProKolin, wormers, I can't remember if she will take Metacam or not, I can just about once every couple of years get a flea spot-on on her and she is fine with her potassium supplement. But she is sweet as long as she is not held in any way, then things turn sour, so even one dose of any medicine is not happening.