Getting another cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Missmudd
New Cat Chatter

Getting another cat

Post by Missmudd »

Hi, I adopted a cat about a year 1/2 ago when her mom was hit by a car. She is a handful. I play with her multiple times a day which helps her behaviors. She continues to attack me and bites when I talk on the phone, jumps out of nowhere onto my head and scratches me and generally gets aggressive if she is bored. She potentially is a hybrid which my vet confirms is a possibility. She is an indoor cat only and is spayed. It isn’t safe for her outside as she was in a 6th floor apartment until 6months ago and hasn’t any concept of dangers outside. My landlady has an indoor outdoor cat that comes in for play dates. They get along ok although my cat sometimes hisses and smacks him, no ears back, no growls, no claws. They both nap on my bed.

I’m moving soon. So, I’m thinking about getting her a friend, but what? If I get a kitten she may do better and be momma cat, but I worry that my cat may bully kitten or hurt it, but with energy level to match mine. Adult rescue, maybe fixed male and bigger than her and mellow (my landlady’s cat) but I worry about rescue as my cat is good with litter box, not destructive, no spraying etc.

Anybody introduce another adult cat or a kitten into a home with another adult cat? Hints. Suggestions?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Getting another cat

Post by Mollycat »

If you follow proper introduction procedures carefully and patiently, you have the best chance of a good outcome. Many cats adult and kitten have been successfully introduced and become lifelong friends, playmates and napping partners +9635 (that number is my cat running across the keyboard so that's how many she thinks but the number is probably much higher than that).

Just because a cat has energy and wants to play with you all the time does not mean they will get on or be happy with another cat. If a cat doesn't, doesn't mean they won't! Also, just because your cat gets on with this cat doesn't mean she will get on with any old cat. This is what you want, and because you have no way of asking the cat, it's up to you to try and ask, and there's only one way to ask a cat and that's to try it.

Young healthy cats are incredibly energetic and should stay playful well into a good age in double figures, it's not any reason to suppose a cat is outcrossed with any kind of wild species just because it's large, or energetic, or has certain markings. Unless you're in Scotland or Africa it's very unlikely, as the wild species in most of the world are too far genetically and behaviourally from the domestic cat to interbreed and would not do so naturally, and the world over there are feral cat populations that are, well, domestic cats gone feral, but not a different species, so not any kind of hybrid.

If cats don't use the litter box there is something wrong that needs investigating, any normal cat will look for a suitable place to do its business and that means where it can dig - if it leaves it anywhere else it's telling you it's upset about something. Very commonly that can be another cat in the house, so your perfectly litter trained cat could potentially start messing if you bring in a kitten and she's not happy. Scratching is about territory marking as well as keeping claws in good condition, so again, another cat coming in could trigger your perfect girl to start.

Not saying don't, but be prepared, if you want to bring in another cat it could be the best thing you ever do or the worst, there is no way of knowing in advance, and it's a good idea to be prepared and have some idea first of what it's going to take to have the best chance of success and second what you're going to do if it isn't working out very well.

Finally, there is always the option of teaching your cat about dangers outside, rather than giving up and confining her indoors forever, if you want to go that route. After all it doesn't matter what age they are the first time they go outside is the first time and they have no idea of anything. They can't gain experience without trying it. There are ways you can teach her a lot, no guarantees, but there are no guarantees with anything with any living creature, and we can only do our best.
Missmudd
New Cat Chatter

Post by Missmudd »

Thank you for you response!. She was born in Israel, she could come from multi generational feral or hybrid. I have been working on harness training and she tolerates it well although is confused by the leash. We live in the USA now. My new home has a garden so will be making cat proof to allow for outdoor time. I have been watching the cat daddy on utube and plan on introducing slowly. So I guess I will just have to jump and if I find what is a good match I’ll bring them home.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

A good rescue should be able to help you find a likely personality match, and it's always great to get another little soul out of a cage and into a loving home. Hope it works well for you both!