Cat won't eat, even after beibg treated at vet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ShaeMacBeth
New Cat Chatter

Cat won't eat, even after beibg treated at vet

Post by ShaeMacBeth »

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have two cats, brother and sister both 10 years old (Tobi and Willow)
Tobi has been in good health but he suddenly started vomiting late Thursday evening, just fluid, no food. He settled for a bit but then about 4 hours later was sick again. He has been hiding under my bed and won't eat or drink anything. We finally got in to see our vet this afternoon. They checked him over (we weren't allowed to go in because of covid restrictions), couldn't feel any obstructions in his stomach or bowels, no temperature, and they felt gave him an anti sickness injection then sent us on our way. It's been about 4 hours now and we still can't get him to eat anything. He came home, walked around the house, sniffed at the plain chicken I offered him (as advised by the vet) but wouldn't eat. He slept for a bit, we tried some plain tuna, still nothing. Now he's back under my bed. The positive is that he hasn't vomited for over 12 hours. The vet had said that, because there is nothing in his stomach, it creates stomach acids that can cause cats to vomit, so getting food into him should help. I'm running out of idea on how to get him to eat or drink anything. Our vet opens for 2 hours tomorrow morning (closed now) and I'll ring them if he hasn't eaten or drank anything by then. I'm just so worried because of how lethargic he is. I mean. I can't see the vet sending him home if he thought he was very ill but shouldn't he have felt hungry at this point and want to eat? I'm stressed and tired from not sleeping, so any ideas?

Sherry
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat won't eat, even after beibg treated at vet

Post by fjm »

I have found that smell is the most important sense in getting a cat to start eating again. A bland diet is sensible after vomiting, but if he won't eat it it is not going to help. Try sardines, mackerel, any cat food you have that is strong smelling, and perhaps plain chicken breast mixed in with whichever he will eat. Lik-e-lix are excellent for getting a cat back into the eating habit. My elderly cat, Pippin, will eat Felix soups despite suffering from a respiratory infection.

Chicken chunks offered by hand often succeed where a plateful is ignored. A shallow bowl or saucer helps, as does warming the food to increase the scent.
ShaeMacBeth
New Cat Chatter

Post by ShaeMacBeth »

Thank you, we'll give that a try! :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Don't worry but do be aware of the risk of hepatic lipidosis, fatty liver disease, that can develop surprisingly quickly in just a few days of not eating. If you notice any sign of jaundice or a down turn in his condition, don't be afraid to call the emergency vet with the Easter holidays. Keep encouraging him to eat.
ShaeMacBeth
New Cat Chatter

Post by ShaeMacBeth »

Thank you Molly, I've been checking his gums (they are still pink) and someone told me to check the ears and any uncovered skin for yellowing. They did check that when they saw him and said it was looking ok then. So I'll be doing another "wake every 2 hours" to check Tobi through the night again.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Don't know if quite that level of vigilance is needed but whatever you feel is right. Has the vet said anything about syringe feeding or not called for at this stage?
stoorworm
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stoorworm »

I’d highly recommend getting a bloodwork test (along with an x-ray and ultrasonography) asap if you have the means.
My kitty was quite the same and they found that he had pancreatitis.
Lethargy/hiding, loss of appetite and vomiting are really common symptoms so unfortunately it’s impossible to tell the reason without further tests.
Wish you both the best of luck!