Burmese-cross scratching her ear flaps.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SouthShieldsGirl
New Cat Chatter

Burmese-cross scratching her ear flaps.

Post by SouthShieldsGirl »

Hello - adopted Sadie from sanctuary last December, they knew nothing about her, except she had a couple of litters, and was between 3-4 years old. She was very meek and mild at first, but now drives me nuts, jumping and climbing all over the place! I have since identified her breed, as a moggy/Burmese cross, so realise it is the breed behaviour, and not just Sadie being wilful. She is very loving, but it is like living with a mountain-goat/ferret cross rather than a cat! Quite a rude awakening, after a lifetime of gentle tabbies!

She has recently been scratching her ear-flaps quite enthusiastically, and today the vet said they need to take skin-scrapings, to ascertain what the cause is. Suggested it might be contagious to humans. Nothing inside the ears at all, but Sadie has scratched the fur off in patches outside - she does not object to me massaging Skin-Eze cream onto the patches, so they don't hurt her, but are very dry. Neither I nor the vet can see any marks on the skin. Has anyone else had this problem with their cat, please? Sadie is off to the hospital next week, to have some tests on her ears.
SouthShieldsGirl
New Cat Chatter

Re: Burmese-cross scratching her ear flaps.

Post by SouthShieldsGirl »

Sadie has now received a clean bill of health from the vet about her ears, no infection found, and the fur is growing back on them as she is not scratching them unduly now. She has been micro-chipped, and had both parts of her vaccinations - since receiving the 2nd one, she has seemed really tired, although continues to eat well, so I am guessing it is just a temporary reaction.