First time kitten owner advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Calmlittlebuddha
New Cat Chatter

First time kitten owner advice

Post by Calmlittlebuddha »

Hello. I am really excited, after loosing my sweet Palmer in December I have finally found a kitten that I really like. She is a 10 month old rescued brown tabby, I am thinking of fable or feather for her name. I adopted Palmer when he was almost 3 so This is my first time owning a kitten. Is there advice I should know, I am not picking her up until next week. I am wondering what type of food is good for this age kitten and if I need to do anything special to make sure that she knows where her litter box is. I am going to keep her in my bedroom for a few days so she is not overwhelmed. Amy advice would be apprciated!
Flukesofhazard
New Cat Chatter

Re: First time kitten owner advice

Post by Flukesofhazard »

Well the usual house acclimating techniques are a good place to start. For the litterbox, I usually put the cat in the litterbox and take a paw and make them scratch the litter so they associate that with where they currently are. But those are full grown cats. For a kitten, I know it’s gross but I’d bag up some of the dirty litter from the cat’s current litterbox and put it in the new litterbox. The smell will help the kitten know that that’s where it is supposed to go.

Any kitten blend of food is good up to a year old, after that, adult cat food is fine. Just be prepared for lots of play and remember to socialize your kitten.

Good luck!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I know advice changes but cats don't, and kittens have been litter trained by their mother since litter was first invented. Kittens 6 weeks old put on the floor in their new home will go in search of a suitable place to toilet, and that means a litter tray. You don't need to do anything special.

Just try to use the same litter and start with the same foods the kitten is used to, if possible, but a kitten should be adaptable and curious enough to eat a wide range of foods and it's a very good idea to keep as much variety as you can. People say get them used to a new food gradually, I say nonsense because if it smells good the cat will eat it and if it doesn't the cat won't, and that adaptable curiosity is to be encouraged.

I've never put a cat or kitten in one room to get to know the house gradually at my pace, either. I let them loose in a quiet room with hiding places but all doors are left open and the new cat or kitten is free to explore at their own pace.

Other than that, start as you mean to go on, rules start the minute kitten arrives, whatever your rules are going to be. Have fun!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd be very surprised if a 10 month old didn't know what the litter tray was from the beginning, I would just use the same litter she is used to initially, and then change if it isn't something you like. Food wise I'd keep her on the same initially, but at 10 months old, you can start transitioning to adult food. Keeping her in your bedroom for the first few days may be a bit tricky, while keeping them in one room for a few days while they adjust is a sensible idea, the bedroom isn't always the best place to do that
Calmlittlebuddha
New Cat Chatter

Post by Calmlittlebuddha »

Thank you so much everyone I really apprciate the help! I drove an hour to meet her at her foster moms house yesterday and she is very sweet, she even let me hold her. One thing I was a littke worried about is that she already had kittens and one of her mammery goads was closed so they put her on antibiotics, Is that normal? I am thinking of the names fable, feather or Emmi, what do you guys like? Thanks again!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if she is to go outside, you might want to consider how comfortable you'd be calling her name out loud in earshot of the neighbours :)

and cats are supposed to be most tuned in to ssss sounds - Essie perhaps?