Terrified of the litterbox

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Flukesofhazard
New Cat Chatter

Terrified of the litterbox

Post by Flukesofhazard »

So here I am, I’m stumped. I’ve had cats all my life, and over the years I’ve learned to speak with them as easily as I would speak with any of you but never in all my years have I encountered this: my cat, Minnie, is afraid of her new litterbox. She won’t go in it and protests when I catch her about to pee or poop elsewhere in the house and carry her to the litterbox. If I time it right, she’ll use the litterbox if I put her in it but she won’t stick around to scratch when she’s done. The litterbox is one of those self scooping ones with the rake that runs forward and back along a track to scoop everything away. The whole idea here was to replace the old litterbox that had pellets with something that would be easier to maintain and not have pellets the size of legos for me to step on (my other cat thinks they are toys so the pellets literally wound up in every room of the house). Normally Minnie wouldn’t go outside the litterbox unless it wasn’t clean enough to her liking but ever since I got this new one she doesn’t even like walking past it, let alone using it. I don’t know what to do to help her realize that she doesn’t need to fear it and that it’s safe to use. I haven’t tried any calming sprays bc the labels all day for use 15 minutes prior to the cat entering that area. I can’t follow my cat around all day waiting for her to sniff the litterbox so I need a different solution. Any suggestions?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Terrified of the litterbox

Post by Mollycat »

I don't blame her, to be honest. I've always thought those self cleaning things are for the owner's convenience along with covered trays and scented litter and don't belong in a cat's world. I know some cats accept these things perfectly well but I'm never surprised when they don't and personally would never ask them to.

Basically cats are quite vulnerable when they are doing their business and being disturbed can result in nuggets dropped outside the box as they run away, which is upsetting for a clean animal. This thing mysteriously starting up trundling across the tray is bound to be a bit scary and it would only take once or twice of it making her jump if it started while she was in it or even near it to make it terrifying. She doesn't know it isn't going to hurt her and she isn't likely to hang around to find out. No amount of pheromones are going to reverse that experience. The more you force her by placing her in it, the worse it's likely to get. I would quit now and give her back a normal tray, before she develops a real problem of refusing all litter and anything associated with it. Sorry but that's my honest thoughts.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Terrified of the litterbox

Post by fjm »

I agree with Mollycat - I think I might have problems using a loo that appeared to attack me! If scattered litter is an issue then perhaps try a different litter, or put the cat tray on a larger tray to catch the bits. I would give her back uher old tray at once, before she becomes habituated to using other spots around the house.