Help! Cat Licks Collar Aggressively

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
qwerkykitty
New Cat Chatter

Help! Cat Licks Collar Aggressively

Post by qwerkykitty »

My cat has been doing this thing for years, she licks the edge of her collar with her whole tongue. It is freaky to look at and twice today she got one of the hooks on her tongue caught on the ring that holds her tags. It is hard to explain... It looks as if she is wiping her tongue off by scraping it on the edge of her collar? Anyone know why she does this??
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Help! Cat Licks Collar Aggressively

Post by papa cat »

Some cats just hate collars ! If it is for identity reasons, get the cat microchipped. If it's a flea collar throw it away and use spot-on treatments.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help! Cat Licks Collar Aggressively

Post by Mollycat »

I wonder if this is linked in some way to your cat throwing up, did you mention to the vet that she also licks her collar like this? Is it a flea collar? All flea collars are dangerous if licked and some non flea collars could be too, depending what they are made of. Does she throw up for a few days after you have just given her a new collar, for example? If she catches her tongue on it I'd be worried for her safety, does she really need a collar at all?