Cat is Throwing up but seems fine? + Are vets scams?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
qwerkykitty
New Cat Chatter

Cat is Throwing up but seems fine? + Are vets scams?

Post by qwerkykitty »

My cat has been throwing up her food on and off for years. I promise it is not all the time and it seems to be in phases. Like she throws up her food multiple days in a row and then is fine for months and then it happens again. And before yall say anything I have taken her to the vet at least 7 times. Every vet has told me something different and none have given a straight answer. And each time it has cost me $300+. They run a bunch of tests, take blood, tell me to change her food, or give me a bunch of medication even though they never diagnosed it. The last time I took her to the vet they shamed me and told me I should have taken her in days earlier ran every test in the book and charged me nearly $800 for the visit and $150 for all the medication. It was horrible. Now I am honestly too scared to take her to the vet. IT seems like they are all just trying to get your money and scare you into getting all these tests done. Honestly, I think my cat is more pain going to the vet all the time than just occasionally throwing up. And she doesn't have any other symptoms. She has energy, her mood doesn't change. She eats normally and poops normally (no diaherra and regular bowel movements) She is drinking water? I don't know. I just feel bad for her. From the research I have done, the best I can gather is she regurgitates her food from eating too fast. She is on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach and the throw-up is usually bits of food with a food-colored liquid.
Flukesofhazard
New Cat Chatter

Re: Cat is Throwing up but seems fine? + Are vets scams?

Post by Flukesofhazard »

Vets aren’t a scam, but just like with a human doctor you need to pick one and stick with them. The longer you’re with them, the better they will be able to diagnose your pet bc they get to know the animal’s quirks. As to the puking, it could just be as simple as eating too fast. My cat does that. Usually first thing in the morning, she will pig out and then drink a bunch of water and within five minutes I hear the unpleasant sound of feline retching to tell me to put my coffee down and grab the paper towels. Seriously, sometimes I think Minnie does it bc she knows I’m having my first cup of coffee. If your cat isn’t becoming lethargic, losing weight, or showing any other symptoms and it isn’t getting worse, then maybe there isnt anything to worry about. On the other hand, running a series of tests is the only way to be sure. It could also be food allergies doing it too, in which case changing the diet can help. Hope this gives you a bit of confidence for the next steps!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat is Throwing up but seems fine? + Are vets scams?

Post by Mollycat »

Agreed vets are not scammers, they can only go by what we tell them and if we rock up saying we're worried they will try to get to the bottom of the problem, and that means tests and tests and visits cost money like any other professional person.

You might need to take charge more though, ask what they suspect, what they are proposing to test for, how much that will cost, in advance of agreeing to have blood taken. It's perfectly ok to ask these questions if like 99% of us you don't have a bottomless wallet. Vomiting after eating might be a regular thing but it's not normal.

Is your cat free fed or given set meals? Cats naturally eat several small meals a day, not one or two large ones as some owners want them to, and being forced to eat a large meal quickly or starve for 12 hours can cause a problem. You might also want to look at the food, if it makes her thirsty, is it dry or wet food, does she ever bring up a furball, possibly at the end of several days of bringing up her food. Why does she have sensitive skin and stomach food, and is that the only food she ever has? Have you ever changed her food as vets have advised?