Psyllium husk for diarrhoea?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Psyllium husk for diarrhoea?

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi. My cat BC has had chronic diarrhoea for years. He was a stray before that, around 12 years ago so he’s getting on a bit. Tests have always come back negative. He’s had antibiotics, probiotics, slippery elm bark, an exclusion diet over the years but nothing has helped. I am now trying to slowly change his diet over to a more natural single protein one, with no additives, rather than his usual Felix and cooked chicken or fish. He’s trialling KatKin, he’s not too keen but hopefully he’ll get used to it. Also psyllium husk has been recommended. Has any one on here given their cat this for diarrhoea?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Psyllium husk for diarrhoea?

Post by Mollycat »

Has the vet ever given him an injection of vitamin B, suggested Cobalaplex or equivalent, or checked his potassium levels? Has he ever taken Pro-Kolin paste on his food, or pumpkin? What does he have for treats?
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Hello Mollycat, I will ask the about vitamin B, it hasn’t been mentioned before but it’s a good suggestion. His potassium level was the low end of the normal range. Pro kolin has no effect. I’m trying to avoid more testing and medications having had two other little cats with ibd who went through the mill with treatments. BC always seems well in himself, playful and energetic when he’s not sleeping. As for treats he has the occasional dreamie but doesn’t like others, even lickelix.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ok the reason I asked about treats was Dreamies, believe it or not. Both mine had rear end troubles. One was either IBD or lymphoma and sadly he didn't survive it though we kept it at bay at first with vitamin B injections then moved to steroid shots and finally he was on steroids. But Molly also had troubles and there was a distinct peculiar smell to her whenever she was bad. Vet raised eyebrows when I said she had ice cream, yoghurt and cheese but it was not a dairy problem. We thought it was linked to her thyroid and taking time to clear after treatment. Then she started getting aggressive about her Dreamies so we stopped them altogether and within weeks we had a happy healthy cat with no more bad belly or funny smells. To be honest I would never have bought them anyway and have always given real meat as treats rather than commercial treats, but someone bought them for us. She still has all the foods she had before including dairy, it's just the Dreamies that are banned now and we've had no more problems.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thank you for your replies. That’s interesting re dreamies. BC’s not really interested in them thank goodness. Our two other cats who also didn’t survive only had lickelix to take pills in. They both had hcm which was worsened by taking steroids. One developed lymphoma and the other died from chf. They were taking so many different pills it was a nightmare for them and me. Not sure what makes BC worse. I’m cutting right down on dry, just a little overnight. Only wet during the day and cooked chicken as a treat. Will definitely look into vitamin B.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Both vitamin B and potassium seem to be vulnerable to long term squits and cause a vicious cycle of more squits when they get low because of squits.

I am sorry, sounds like you're been through an awful lot with them. Hoping for a better time this time for you.