My fixed female is aggressive towards unfixed male.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Belle
New Cat Chatter

My fixed female is aggressive towards unfixed male.

Post by Belle »

Hello, I am seeking advice because I have no control over the male as he is not my cat. I share an apartment and my roommate isn’t looking to get her cat fixed. I am already looking for another place as I don’t have control over who resides in this apartment, but until then I need to do something.

My cat is six years old and the male is about eight months now. I understand when he chases after her, but she will actually attack him if he’s just laying there. She’s not doing it in a playful manner, either. Just today, he was laying on the sofa and she saw him. She got up on the table next to it and started hissing and growling at him. I had to stop her before she attacked him. He just rolls onto his back getting ready to fight back if he needed to.

When he was still a little kitten, I thought she had accepted him because she was grooming him. Now she just gets mad when he’s around her. I believe it could be since he matured and is now giving off pheromones.

I already keep my cat in my room with me now, or outside of my room if I am out in the common areas since I don’t like having a cat peeing on my belongings.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: My fixed female is aggressive towards unfixed male.

Post by papa cat »

Just a couole of ideas, I but may not be right.
It might be that when he first came along your female cat 'adopted' him as if he were her own and now he's matured she's chasing him off, as momma cats do to their own offspring.
I would allow the attacks to continue because all she is trying to do is get rid of this other, now grown-up, cat from her territory. He will eventually stop coming in when he realises he is not welcome.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My fixed female is aggressive towards unfixed male.

Post by Mollycat »

Not sure that taking your cat out of your room is helping matters. Does she actually pee on your stuff if you leave her alone in your room, or is that just something you worry might happen? If it actually does happen, it's almost certainly because she is stressed out by another cat being around. If that's the case, why do you let the other cat be around? If she is happy in your room and feels safe there, then forcing er out of the room to where the other cat is is just stressing her out more. Cats usually don't mind having a smaller space if the alternative is sharing a bigger space with a cat that they don't want to be near. That said keeping them entirely separate might not even work now for two reasons - one the other cat is in smelling and hearing distance, and two the habit of feeling upset and stressed is already just that, a habit. But I would say the opposite of Papacat (different approach not suggesting anyone is wrong here) and keep them completely separate. Hope you get to move soon to somewhere better.