Cat escaping garden

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catey2020
New Cat Chatter

Cat escaping garden

Post by Catey2020 »

HI

I have a 5 year old Burmese male (neutered)

He was always a house cat but since moving to a house with a garden last year we started to allow him out.
He has been contented sitting in the garden under a bush and pottering about until very recently.

In the last week he has discovered the front gate and is now desperate to go outside and explore at the front of our house. He also seems to go several houses (5+) down and shows no fear. This wouldn't be such an issue except that there is a main road about 8 houses down and he has no road sense, and he is very pretty pure breed and so very steal-able.

I'm now back to confining him in the house but this is quite stressful as he is at every slightly open window trying to push out and also being naughty inside.

I'm aware he is feeling more bored and this is a trigger for naughty behaviour in general as I have a one year old baby and so I've struggled to make enough time for him over the last year although I love him to bits.

Anyone any ideas on how I can improve this situation?

Constantly having to battle to keep him indoors seems stressful but I also really don't want him to go missing