Is your vet letting you into the consultation room during this time?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Is your vet letting you into the consultation room during this time?

Post by Kris35 »

Because the place I use - I've not been to them in a year - have different staff now. My old vet who was Oody's vet called me a couple of months ago to tell me she was moving abroad and most of the vets have gone and been replaced, and they didn't let me into the consultation room the other day. I had to wait in the ruddy car park. And this new boy I have has only one eye and was really scared. Just wanted to know if this is still a thing with Covid?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Is your vet letting you into the consultation room during this time?

Post by booktigger »

I don't know any that let you in the consultation room, mine let you in the waiting room then take the cat off you, some don't even let you in the building. Does seem a Covid thing unfortunately
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Definitely Covid! My vets did car park consults when the weather was good enough, for a while. We have to wait in the car, they come and take the animal off you and go inside the building then come back out with it, and then the receptionist comes outside with any meds and the wireless payment reader.

Before Covid there were certain things for which they took the animal out the back, mainly for taking blood samples, dressing wounds and fitting catheters, but we could ask for it to be done in the consulting room with us and that was fine. The reason for that was because owners can find it traumatic seeing blood taken from a cat's neck, whereas in fact it's both safer and less traumatic for the cat. They wanted to take my Bobby out back to have the catheter fitted to his paw for euthanasia but I asked for him not to be taken out of the room and that was fine.

Sadly it does have consequences, our dog is now petrified of the vets which he never was before, but it can't be helped. He had his cruciate ligament operation put back because the morning he was due (well in the car park actually!) the visiting surgeon had to go for a Covid test. We also can't go in with him now he is having hydrotherapy, so we can't help them to help him to do his exercises right, and so on.

But in answer to your question yes absolutely it is Covid that you can't go in.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks all. It's just that a friend of mine has been aloud in recently wearing a mask. I thought they were relaxing the rules. I mean, I can understand a few weeks ago, but just wondered about recent appointments.