Ataxia / wobbling / losing balance / hind legs giving out

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ABreatheCs
New Cat Chatter

Ataxia / wobbling / losing balance / hind legs giving out

Post by ABreatheCs »

Hi all, I just found this website today, and glad I did.

My 14-year-old Mish Mish was in her usual state of health until last night. She appeared to have lost her balance and fell over to the side. She then got up and seemed fine the rest of the night.

Then it happened again several more times today. It looks like her one of her hind legs gives out, or like maybe she loses balance in just that leg, and falls to the side. It only happens sometimes. She is still able to jump up and down, and even stand on her hind legs to get a treat from the ottoman.

Either way, I took her to the vet ER. They’re working her up (labs and X-rays) for now.

Anyway... I’ve found some threads on here that described similar experiences with elderly kitties, and it hasn’t been reassuring. I hope she’s going to be ok.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments?
ABreatheCs
New Cat Chatter

Re: Ataxia / wobbling / losing balance / hind legs giving out

Post by ABreatheCs »

Update if anyone is reading this, or finds it later.

Physical exam showed
- some tenderness over lower back,
- gait abnormality (wide stance of hind legs, and occasional loss of balance in the hind legs as I observed).
Otherwise normal exam, including neuro.

Vital signs including blood pressure were normal. BP not even upper level of normal.

Labs came back with
- elevated BNP (heart muscle stretching),
- slightly elevated Cr (very mild kidney lab abnormality), but urine was concentrated so most likely she didn’t drink enough water today (and even if it was a mild kidney injury, not enough to cause her symptoms),
- mild electrolyte abnormality (he didn’t say which ones, but I’ll review the results once they send them).

Other labs were normal.

X-rays have not been read yet, but wet read shows
- enlargement of the cardiac silhouette (heart looks bigger than normal),
- mediastinal widening (space in front of the heart larger than normal),
- rounding of the liver (potentially normal with age).
Rest of the X-rays (including spine, pelvis, and legs) look ok.

I’m taking her home tonight, and am recommended to get an echo (ultrasound of the heart) and see a neurologist.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome to the forum.

While I can't give any really help or advice I can say that I have noticed that a cats sideways stability seems to go long before there forward movement problems start. I currently have a cat who is in her late teens and rather wobbly on her back legs, there are times she will shake herself and promptly fall over, or will try to walk from my knee to the coffee table and not get her back foot on securely and fall over a bit. Her forward movement is fine, she may not be able to jump a 6 foot fence any more, but jumping 3 foot onto a desk doesn't give her any problem. This has been going on for about 4 years. She has given us several scares over those years and has an ongoing respiratory problem and problems with her ears, about 3 years ago we decided to go onto palliative care rather than put her through a lot of exploratory surgery never imagining that 3 years on she would be still with us.

I'm glad to hear Mish's test results have come back as well as they have and I can only say I hope she will be with you for many years yet, she may not be the young agile cat she once was, but like people, many older cats can carry on happily plodding about even if they can't do the amazing acrobatics they used to.
ABreatheCs
New Cat Chatter

Post by ABreatheCs »

Thank you for replying and sharing about your kitty. I’m amazed and touched to hear she continued to be with you for several more years! While I know all cats are different, and mine could be experiencing something else completely, it would be a relief and joy if we could get even another year with Mishie (as long as she is comfortable).

After picking her up from the ER, she seemed worse (timid, not really eating or drinking, and kind of weak). We mentally prepared ourselves for worst case scenario in the next few days... But today she seems better (eating, drinking, and mood-wise), and I’m wondering if yesterday was mostly stress from the vet visit. I haven’t seen her fall over BUT I think it’s bc she’s self-limiting her side-side movement knowing when she might fall.

The plan is to let her recuperate from the ER stress, then take her to her primary vet for follow-up in a few days. Whatever the vet says, my partner and I agreed our priority is on making Mishie comfortable regardless of how much time that gives her.