teeth brushing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
simba86
Frequent Cat Chatter

teeth brushing

Post by simba86 »

went to vet recently for a checkup as cat was slightly lethargic for a while. ve said was very normal but said i would need to brush cats teeth. i have tried many times - alone/with help, with a brush, with a rubber finger brush....she is not into it at all. is there another way or another product that could help. using virbac toothpaste
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: teeth brushing

Post by Mollycat »

There is an additive you can put in their water, and I think there are some pastes you can give them to lick off your finger. I don't know of any cat that would have allowed tooth brushing, certainly none of mine ever would have, not even the Ragdoll. The water additive did not prevent the ragdoll from needing a dental at age 9 and another at age 13, one extraction the first time and none the second. My other cat has made it to 14 before needing dental work. They get Webbox sticks which Molly would want piece by piece when her mouth was sore but she is killing them and eating them by herself again. £1 for 6 in most supermarkets.

Depending what you feed you might be able to help a bit - for example if you feed raw then chewing on raw bones is supposed to help keep teeth in good condition. Vets say dry food helps, I doubt that as they crunch down on the biting surface and biscuits scraping down as far as under the gumline where it's needed would be painful! But I remain convinced the biggest factor with teeth is simply genes.