Kitty vs The Litter Box!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kevonh
New Cat Chatter

Kitty vs The Litter Box!

Post by kevonh »

Hi there,

I was hoping that someone could help with an issue that my cat seems to be developing with litter boxes. I feel like I have tried everything but the problem seems to be getting worse and seems very odd. But we all know cats can be little enigmas!

I adopted a kitten in June last year, so she is about 9 months old. Super affectionate, well behaved and been a real lovely companion (bursting with energy!)

I've never had many issues with her using the litter box, and the little issues I had were when she was 8 weeks old so totally normal. But now she has started doing strange things. The main issue seems to be she has started pooping outside the little box, normally on the floor beside it. She always pees in it, but for some reason she's become not a fan of using them for number 2s.

I've tried removing the lid, different kinds of litter, making sure the tray is cleaned every day, tried different kinds of cat litter, having more than one tray around the apartment. Doesn't seem to matter, about 50% of the time she's gone somewhere obscure.

She doesn't seem distressed in any way, her behaviour hasn't changed otherwise. She's still a ball of energy who is eating well and wants 100% of my time if she can get it!

Any advice on things I can try that I might have not?!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitty vs The Litter Box!

Post by fjm »

Is she pooping in hidden places, or out in the open? Near doors, windows, or other places linked to the outside? Has anything changed in your routine? More visitors? Cats outside? I wonder if perhaps she is middening - using her poop to mark her territory and warn other cats (or possibly even humans) off.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/knowledgebase/ ... ur:-Stress
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

kevonh wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am the little issues I had were when she was 8 weeks old so totally normal.
Can you explain what little issues you're classing as normal for an 8 week old kitten? I've never known a kitten not to be fully litter tray trained by their mother as soon as they can move around so I'm wondering if maybe there are any clues there.

Has she been spayed, and does she go outside? I presume she had one season already.
kevonh
New Cat Chatter

Post by kevonh »

Thanks both for the replies.

The little issues when she was a baby was more peeing or pooing on the sofa or any place that seemed to resemble somewhere soft. I wondered if it was a comfort thing because it would typically be where I sit so maybe my scent. It was particularly when I started trying to use the lid on the tray. So I kept it off for a while then slowly started putting it back on and eventually, she started using it.

I can't 100% attest to her upbringing before 8 weeks but the person putting her up for adoption said she had been with her littermates and mother up until the day I got her and she had invested time handling her (which seemed true as she loves to be petted, played with and handled, she purrs constantly). But in terms of using the tray she said there hadn't been any problems and told me the brand of litte she was used to. I put the initial hiccups down to just her being taken away from her mother and littermates and the stress of being in a new environment.

She is an indoor cat who stays with me on a 2nd floor apartment. She's never had any experience of being outdoors, and she was spayed as soon as she was old enough over the winter so I don't think she has ever had a season.

In terms of where she goes, it's sometimes hidden places, but never out in the open. It's mostly right next to the litter box or behind it. It's like she wants to go in but for some reason chooses to go right next to it. There's been no changes to her environment.

I am wondering if it is still a seasonal thing. This is her first spring, with longer days. Even though we are high up, she is often very hyper at the window staring at the birds and I have heard a couple of times other cats outside fighting or meowing that she is maybe seeing.

Another possibility is as I got her during lockdown, she is used to me being around 24/7. Whilst I am still almost always in, I do have to lock her out of my office during the day (otherwise I'd get no work done as she loves jumping up on the desk). She will sit by the door and wait when she's not playing with her toys. I also don't let her sleep in the room with me yet. I can only think of one time long ago where I spotted her going where she shouldn't when I've been in the room a long time ago. It's always when I am not with her.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I do think lockdown and all the changes around it are going to generate a lot of behaviour issues for a lot of young cats as human routines change. Even for people who have always worked from home and people who never stopped going out to work, there are changes in visits, trips out, visitors, deliveries, groceries - changes we might not think of but that might still be confusing or distressing to our pets.

But this sounds deeper and different. Of course you would not have been able to see her with her mother and siblings as she was even born in lockdown! This is bugging me, it doesn't sound territorial, there was an issue when she first came then she was fine then she is having issues again, and sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. Soft places - someone else on here a long time ago had issues with a cat toiletting in soft furnishings, can anyone remember who that was or what the answer was in the end? I just know I have read it before.

You say she always goes in the wrong places when you're not with her, is she happy and comfortable using the tray in front of you? Or does she generally only pee and poop when you're not around? My extreme shy cat totally surprised me by happily using the bathroom tray even while I was in the bath or using my own toilet even when she would run and hide if I moved, and she used to perch on the rim of the tray by choice. I don't suppose you have tried a tray with a wide rim like that for her?
kevonh
New Cat Chatter

Post by kevonh »

Yes I definitely think she is expecting a lot more of me than I can give due to me being around all the time and there will likely be a bit of an adjustment when things change. Absolutely not complaining as she's super affectionate, not shy of anything or anyone, so I have overall really lucked out with her. In my experience with cats in the past, she will likely require less attention when she reaches adulthood and calms down.

It is a bit of an odd one. She generally goes to the toileet when I am not around, but she does occasionally so I think that is circumstantial. The litter trays are generally not in rooms that I spend a lot of time (one in the hall and one in the kitchen (this isn't as unhygienic as it sounds, it's a very big kitchen :lol: )

I never considered trying the bathroom ring but it is worth a shot. She certainly enjoys being in the bathroom when I am trying to relax. And the bathroom was her watering hole via the taps until I got her one of those running water bowls!