Help 19.5 old screaming blue murder no reason

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Help 19.5 old screaming blue murder no reason

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

My sweet 19.5 year old is deff, has kidney & thyroid problems screaming blue murder.
My sweet girl has started screaming blue murder for no reason.
She’s deaf now so I get that her scream will be much louder as she can’t hear herself.
I come rushing to see her & she’s just sitting there looking in to space.
It’s been happening a lot recently especially at night.
I’m thinking it’s on set Alzheimer’s or dementia ?
Can anyone offer any advice on cat Alzheimer’s.
In her room I have pet remedy in one corner & felleway in the other & a heated blanket. I bring all her food to her on her bed so she doesn’t want for anything really.
Any advice for any extra calming products or anything that might help her.

She has the start of kidney problems but has refused to eat any of the renal food - I have tried them all 🤦🏻‍♀️ so eats 90% normal food as she’s only 2.5kg now so I just need to feed her something.
Iv had her from 8 weeks old so I feel I’m intuitive when it comes to spotting when something is wrong.
She really doesn’t look or seem to be in any kind of pain at all, other then her back legs seem a little frail - expected at her age I think .

Any advice on any of the issues would be helpful & much appreciate it.
Thanks 🐾🐾🐾
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Help 19.5 old screaming blue murder no reason

Post by Mollycat »

Yowling especially at night is often a symptom of hyperthyroidism, it can also be dementia though. Have you got a recent update on how well managed her thyroid levels are?

If her kidney issues have only just started at her age I really wouldn't be worrying about making her miserable trying to make her eat a food she doesn't like, although hyperthyroidism can mask kidney problems due to high blood pressure artificially increasing blood flow to the kidneys so they may have been less than optimum for longer than you might think. Even so, of the two conditions, thyroid normally takes priority.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

Many thanks, the last time her thyroid was checked 3 months ago the vet said it was very well managed.
She has been on the meds now for about 10 months, maybe it’s worth having more blood done to see how her health is & check that.
I agree about the kidney food I tried so much & she’s not keen, I’m just glad she eats something & I put the Lpakitine in normal food - i find it helps her poo soften so it’s easy for her to pass it as well.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

I took my girl to the vets last week for bloods, the vet said her thyroid is under control with her meds.
She thought the behaviour was due to the problems with her kidneys, her blood pressure was a little on high as well.
At 19.5 the vet said just feed her what she’s wants to eat it’s not worth trying to give renal food if she’s not interested - which is what I had been doing as I feel the same.
A week on she’s on pills for blood pressure & seams ok 🤞🤞

Does anyone know of meds or anything to help with her kidneys 🐾🐾
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

There are lots of drops powders and additives that claim to help, I don't know if any do.

Fortekor increases blood flow to the kidneys. Originally developed as a heart drug for dogs, it was found early in trials to make clear improvements in kidney function. There may be a reason your vet has not suggested this.

Protein and potassium binders can also be used, I think they both come in powder form to go on food and are generally well accepted. Normally offered if they are being lost through the urine.

Most likely if your vet isn't offering these then either your cat doesn't need them, or they would interfere with her thyroid control, but your vet is the person to ask.