Cat lump on shoulder after Depo Medrol shot 4 weeks ago

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Itchymoimoi
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat lump on shoulder after Depo Medrol shot 4 weeks ago

Post by Itchymoimoi »

hi all

Firstly i wanted to say that I really really know what this could be and I have taken my Charlie back to the vets twice in the past month. they have advised that the lump is so small (4 mm roughly at the time) that it couldn't be reliably aspirated and so i should keep an eye on it and go back at the beginning of June.

Obviously...with the internet, all roads lead to cancer, so much so that i have already reached out to a special cat oncologist to get an idea of the process that will happen if this lump is confirmed to be an Injection site sarcoma.

Like many of you I am not coping well with the worry, I am not sleeping, have no appetite. Im terrified all the time.

I guess I just would love to hear if any of you have had a cat that has had a lump under their skin for as long as charlie has (4.5 weeks) after a steroid injection that eventually went away?
It seems that people post with worry and then often disappear again and we never find out what the result was.

Any reassurance will help between now and when the vet is able to take a needle biopsy would be so appreciated. I dont think im coping well with the unknown at all. I have been having really dark thoughts and so any stories of lumps that recovered after a period of time would be so helpful. I would really appreciate it.

thank you x
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat lump on shoulder after Depo Medrol shot 4 weeks ago

Post by mr_frisky »

One of my cats had a lump for about three weeks after a vaccination, as did the OP in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8102
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I swear these injection site lumps are much more common now because vets no longer massage the area and dissipate the injection.

But when it comes to anxiety, yes times are having some effect on most people one way or another.
Worried about my cat
New Cat Chatter

Post by Worried about my cat »

O my god, my cat also has a lump. But i noticed it after 3 weeks of rabies shot, went to the vet immediately, she said if it does not go away in 2 weeks she is going to cut it out and then send for biopsy. I strongly disagree - if it is just inflammation why torture the animal. So now it is quite long after your cat had a lump, please update whether it disappeared or how is your cat? I m worried sick about mine and cant they check for cancer some other way but making an operation and then checking? From internet i get conflicting answers - some say wait 3 months, some say if it does not disappear after 3 weeks it is bad, so would be nice to know what happened to your cat in a month