(Breast cancer) what to expect !!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

(Breast cancer) what to expect !!

Post by mustafa811 »

My cat developed a breast cancer last year beneath her left most upper breast nipple , she was 17 years old and the vet adviced against surgery due to age and other problems such as liver , thyrotoxicity , weak immunity and diabetes .

Almost a year passed and the mass progressed from a pea sized to a clump of 4-5 peas attached to each other , also a recently new pea was felt in her upper right breast recently .

As i told you the vet decision was to manage conservatively and i agreed , but i just don't know how will this progress to ?! And i don't know if she is suffering or not ?! She seems good but sometime she just meows for no reason in the middle of night and as a cat owner this doesn't seem pretty abnormal ?!

So i want to hear your stories on the matter and how did it progress ?! I know this could stir some sad emotions digging these subjects but i just want to be prepared knowing what to expect the next period.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: (Breast cancer) what to expect !!

Post by Mollycat »

Good morning Mustafa, I can't comment on what to expect from mammary tumours, but having had a 24 year old cat euthanised this week I can share some thoughts about cats, pain, and end of life care.

Most people would likely have taken Purdy to the vets much sooner. She was thin, matted and dirty, and had a lump on her leg the size of half a boiled egg. None of this bothered her one bit, she was a happy little soul. On Saturday I saw her (I didn't live with her) and noticed she was mouth breathing a little but still purring, and by Monday she was unable to find a comfortable position to lie in and it was time to go.

But as anyone knows who has lived with chronic long term pain or discomfort, we accept a lot before we let it get in our way. We will take quite a bit before we really show it or complain about it. Maybe our animals are the same. Maybe some discomfort is ok, and we can let go of the desperate anxiety of trying to eradicate every trace of pain, and relax and trust our pets to tell us when we need to help them.
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mustafa811 »

Your comment soothing as usual molly , i wasn't thinking at all about the cancer but while i was eating a chicken sandwich she started to pick on me as usual 🙃 and i gave her half the chicken in the sandwich sliced in very small pieces the way she loves em , then i gave her a large long shredded piece to keep her busy and leave me alone , but she ate it in one bite and almost chocked on it , and she was struggling for like 5 minutes to swallow , i even tried to grasp her mouth and open it but found nothing so i caught her and flipped her upside down , at that moment she ran away and hid herself under the bed from the crazy human :D , but then i noticed her starting to groom herself so apparently she swallowed it finally , this made me think alot about losing her and that it could happen anytime in a fraction of second , so i want to be there and offer her help if she needed it .
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Nans is a very lucky cat to have you. I bet you talk to her all the time, don't you? You ask her opinion, what she wants, if she agrees? You explain everything to her about her health conditions and what time you will be home every time you go out?

I have noticed some cats groom themselves to cover their embarrassment when they have done something foolish, undignified or clumsy, and it's their way of pretending they did it on purpose or denying it ever happened.
mustafa811
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mustafa811 »

:) Oh thanks molly , yup i do lol i like to talk with her all the time , and she likes to meow back and takes me on little journies to the balcony or outside where she likes to sit and enjoy her sun bath :D