Is my cat pregnant?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Is my cat pregnant?

Post by raven ray »

I have a 10 month old kitten, and an 11 month old kitten (in pic). I was told they were both girls, and have had no suspicion otherwise until I witnessed them mating yesterday. We checked out Luna, and turns out she is a boy! Obviously I panicked and checked my female cat, and I see her nipples (seem?) pinked up. Can someone confirm this?! I might be creating things in my head. Does she look like she could be pregnant? She also threw up less than a week ago, I figured it was just an upset stomach. She by no means looks big yet, I would say her belly is about the same. They have been doing this for 2 months, when I first saw it I googled it immediately..google told me sometimes female cats will hump when in heat to relieve discomfort? I just believed that until a friend checked him last night. Aside from the point, does she appear pregnant based on her nipples? Could she have become pregnant last night if she is not already?
Attachments
IMG_3327.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 732 times
IMG_3318-1.jpg
IMG_3318-1.jpg (72.5 KiB) Viewed 732 times
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Is my cat pregnant?

Post by fjm »

I think if a male and female of that age have been mating for two months it would be extremely likely that the female is pregnant, except that you saw them mating yesterday. Once pregnant the female will no longer come into oestrus, and as far as I am aware it is extremely unusual for them to solicit or accept mating when pregnant or not in oestrus. It is still possible that she is pregnant, or became so at yesterday's mating - I would plan on getting at least the male neutered ASAP, and if you are not prepared for potential kittens have the female checked by the vet and take their advice on spaying her as well.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

As you witnessed a mating, did the female scream and turn on the male hissing and lashing out?
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

Mollycat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am As you witnessed a mating, did the female scream and turn on the male hissing and lashing out?
Yes. Exactly
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

So a true mating, rather than kitten play...
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

fjm wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 am So a true mating, rather than kitten play...
if she was pregnant already would they still be mating like that? Or does that indicate she is not currently
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I doubt that she would have let him if she were pregnant at the time, but only a vet can tell you for sure. Have you noticed oestrus behaviour - calling, rolling on the ground, extra affectionate, presenting her bum to him with the tail to one side? It usually takes more than one mating to trigger ovulation, but the one you saw may have been one of many, of course.

More information here:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/the-cat-m ... ame-552391
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Well they do mate many times over several days in the natural course of things, the early matings stimulate ovulation so don't usually result in pregnancy on the first one. So anything's possible. You can spay early in pregnancy if you really do not want those kittens though I believe it's a risky procedure. Oops!
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

fjm wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 am I doubt that she would have let him if she were pregnant at the time, but only a vet can tell you for sure. Have you noticed oestrus behaviour - calling, rolling on the ground, extra affectionate, presenting her bum to him with the tail to one side? It usually takes more than one mating to trigger ovulation, but the one you saw may have been one of many, of course.

More information here:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/the-cat-m ... ame-552391
I think I have seen her present her bum