what to feed? siamese with sensitive tummy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

what to feed? siamese with sensitive tummy

Post by newTOcats »

Hi I have two kittens that are about 13 weeks old. One is a tortoise shell moggy, kitti, and one is a Siamese, nemo. Kitti came with some go cat dry food (I believe this is a bit rubbish like bakers for dogs?) So I thought I'd use it up and then get something better. I bought some whiskers kitten pouches which I thought was a good brand (never had cats so only really know about dog food) my vet now tells me it's not a good brand, is this so?

so kitti has been eating that fine and is fine. Then two or three weeks ago we got nemo. His breeder had been feeding him just on white fish and chicken, cooked and a small amount of dried food. This to me doesn't sound like a complete diet.... Do they need other things or is this ok being the main part of diet? Since I got nemo I feed them what I had for kitti and some white fish at some meals.

Now the problem is nemo has a runny tummy (it's got a bit better but still not like kittis and it stinks!!!) Also he suffers from wind and generally pongs a bit so obviously isn't happy with my diet!

So my question is I'm looking into all the dried foods but just don't know which to go for. I don't want to pay silly money but equally want a good quality food... What are peoples opinions? Also I don't just want to feed dry so what shall I feed as the wet pouches, tins or fish/chicken? And if I go for the latter I'd like to probably still give some prepared cat food so that they will not reject it when I need them looked after by friends!

How much should I feed? I will def leave unlimited dry food down while they're kittens... When do i stop doing that?

Sorry for all the questions but it's all a bit confusing and I want to do what's best for the cats. Thanks.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: what to feed? siamese with sensitive tummy

Post by Kay »

I would feed a kitten food described as grain-free, or at least wheat-free - one readily available online and in pet shops is James Wellbeloved, which contains rice and is tolerated by most cats - and the chicken and fish, with a bit of water added - to both kittens for now - as long as the dry is at least 50% of the diet they should be getting all the nutrients they need for now, and feeding them the same foods is going to make life easier

I buy Tesco frozen cooked chicken breast to make my life easier

if Nemo's problems are due to his food, this should help, and you can experiment with other food later, bit by bit, when he is older
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by newTOcats »

Great thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I will def be ffeeding them both the same thing. One other question my new vet recommended royal cannine. Now is this really worth the extra cost or is that more recommended for his commission?! Is something like James welbeloved/ wainrights just as good? Thanks x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

a lot of vets stock Royal Canin and Hills because those two firms are the major manufacturers of special dietary foods - and who knows further down the line you may need to try one of them if Nemo's problems persist, but I would certainly try James Wellbeloved first

Royal Canin Sensitivity would be my next choice, but I have found my Trigger, who seems to be intolerant to a lot of the regular cat foods, prefers the JWB