Chlamydia vaccine

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Chlamydia vaccine

Post by susand »

Hello everyone. One or two of the regulars on here may remember my previous posts last year. Just to summarise, in my quest to find a friend for poor old lonely hearts Walter cat, I ran into problems with being offered a cat with cat flu, then a cat who turned out not to like other cats! Having sufficiently recovered from the trauma of those experiences, I'm back on with looking for another cat. I've seen a cat I'm interested in in a small rescue but although he looks healthy, another cat in the same rescue had gummy eyes, which worried me.

I have struggled to find a cat that fits all my criteria but since this one (the healthy looking cat) seems almost perfect I thought I'd risk it and take him but make sure Walter is vaccinated against all three major causes of cat flu, instead of just the two which my vets do. Apparently, of the 3 main flu vaccines, Chlamydia vaccination is optional, depending on the risk of the cat in question being exposed to cat flu and that is why not all vets offer it routinely. I figured me bringing a new cat from a rescue with a possible cat flu case would count as the 'risk of exposure' the literature talks about, so decided to vaccinate Walter before bringing the new cat home.

However, I have found that in reality it is impossible to get this vaccine, at least in my area. My own (rather wealthy branch of a chain of practices) say they can't offer it because it has to be bought in batches of ten and it'll cost them too much and to try elsewhere. Ditto several other places I've phoned.. I am still expecting a couple of call backs from receptionists/nurses at one or two other practices who are going to ask their vets if they will get it in for me but I'm not hopeful.

I'm really appalled at the mercenary attitude of the vets in question, which makes it impossible for guidelines in the literature to be followed! I'm also at a loss as to where I go next to try and source this vaccine. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance for your help.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Chlamydia vaccine

Post by susand »

Just letting you know, one of the vets practices I contacted kindly phoned the vaccine manufacturer, who were able to inform them of practices in the region who stock the vaccine. I contacted the nearest, which is about 20 miles away and have an appointment to get Walter vaccinated on Monday.