In heat but possibly pregnant!?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

In heat but possibly pregnant!?

Post by raven ray »

I am just confused. My cat seems to be displaying signs of heat the last few days, but simultaneously is showing signs of pregnancy. Her nipples are larger and pink, morning sickness, a little belly, but appears to be in heat. Is this impossible? Does this mean she is not pregnant? So confused. I guess I do not know as much about cat reproduction as I thought. I thought she was for sure pregnant but now I am unsure of myself
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: In heat but possibly pregnant!?

Post by fjm »

There are always exceptions, but heat during pregnancy is not usual. I would keep her separated from your male while she is calling, and get him neutered as soon as possible. When do you think she became pregnant? The signs you describe would not appear for a few weeks, and I know you said they mated just a couple of days ago. If she is really several weeks pregnant your vet should be able to confirm it by a scan.
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

We have seen them doing this for two months. Here’s some pictures of her from yesterday, does she look pregnant !?
Attachments
IMG_3393.jpg
IMG_3393.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 886 times
IMG_3380.jpg
IMG_3380.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 886 times
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If she isn't neutered, please don't let her out, or you will end up with kittens
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

The OP also has an un-neutered male who has been mating with the female for the last two months - hence the strong suspicion that she is already pregnant...

It is impossible to tell if she is or not from the photos - I would ask your vet.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I know, but he clearly wasn't sexually mature enough when they started mating 2 months ago, or she'd be heavily pregnant by now, given they are pregnant for 9 weeks, and if she has been caught, she'd be unlikely to be receptive to him continuing to mount her (while they can be mated by different males, it's normally a 3-5 day window, or kittens wouldn't be able to survive). I'm also guessing that as they have only just realised the sex of these two cats is wrong, they haven't been to a vet for vaccs etc
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Good points, Booktigger. Either way, I think they both need urgent vet appoitments for the snip!
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

booktigger wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:15 pm I know, but he clearly wasn't sexually mature enough when they started mating 2 months ago, or she'd be heavily pregnant by now, given they are pregnant for 9 weeks, and if she has been caught, she'd be unlikely to be receptive to him continuing to mount her (while they can be mated by different males, it's normally a 3-5 day window, or kittens wouldn't be able to survive). I'm also guessing that as they have only just realised the sex of these two cats is wrong, they haven't been to a vet for vaccs etc
Both cats are fully vaccinated
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

fjm wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:24 am The OP also has an un-neutered male who has been mating with the female for the last two months - hence the strong suspicion that she is already pregnant...

It is impossible to tell if she is or not from the photos - I would ask your vet.
She went to the vet this week and he said he couldn’t feel any kittens, but said she could be in early pregnancy because of the symptoms displayed and would have to do an ultra sound to confirm
raven ray
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by raven ray »

booktigger wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 am If she isn't neutered, please don't let her out, or you will end up with kittens
She is wearing a harness in the picture. She walks on a leash, she is never unsupervised
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm very puzzled as to how you can have the sexes wrong if they are fully vaccinated, as sex is normally noted on the vaccination cards. If the vet can't feel any kittens, I would recommend booking her in to be neutered. When you use harnesses they normally have leads as well, which I cant see in that pic