early neutering

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

early neutering

Post by newTOcats »

Another question. A lot of cat rescue charities and one local vet recommend early neutering (12-20weeks) but another local vet said they don't recommend it until nearer 6 months (also breeder said this). What do people here think? I'd like to get it done earlier as I've read they recover quicker, less likely to develop unwanted behaviours and as I have one of each sex don't want any surprises!! But I'm a little worried about the effect of removing the hormones while they're still growing... Will it affect their growth, bone strength etc? And anything I haven't thought of??? Thanks
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: early neutering

Post by Kay »

I have no direct experience of early neutering, but I do recall reading somewhere that in the past vets weren't trained to do it, and as it requires a little more skill on their part, they would fob owners off with various health warnings

have a look at this site to find a vet who does it, and then you can discuss the pros and cons with him/her
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

10-12 weeks? Wow that's really early, perhaps too early. It's suggested to neuter at 4 months as opposed to 6 months. But at nearing 12 weeks old....hmmm!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

We started neutering at 9 weeks, with the only side effect being they are a bit hyper the first night. My vet has been doing it for about 15 years, and one of the first ones she did was one of her own cats, and she has had no effects on growth etc. It has been done in America for over 20 years, google the Winn Foundation, they did studies on cats younger than 6 months, 6-12 months and 12 months plus.
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by newTOcats »

Great thank you for replies, I will look into those things mentioned but thinking I will go for it at around 15 weeks. I've also just found out one vet near us does it a lot cheaper if you get it done between 12 and 20 weeks as it is now the recommended time :)
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

There is no reason not to neuter early and every reason to.

We neuter feral kittens that we have no option but to return to site from 8 weeks old and domestics that are for rehoming between 9-12 weeks depending on many factors.

6 months is far to late in many cases and any vet that is still recommending this really needs to keep up with the latest data on the issue. I would't take any breeders advice on anything regards cat welfare issues!!!!

I think for private clients 12-16 weeks is just right. They heal remarkably quickly and the only real problem is keeping the little blighters calm for a wee while after the op!!!

If your vet won't, find a better vet..... :D
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Hmm I didnt know it was advised at that young age. If its ok them I dont see why not, just I have never known to do that op as early as ten weeks.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

I wasn't recommending a private owner at this age (12-16 weeks I believe is what I recommended) but as a rescue with a very proactive vet then 9 weeks is when all rescues should be neutering. No kitten should really be rehomed via a rescue un neutered as this is the only possible way to guarantee they are done and don't add to the already massive death toll of unwanted cats and kittens (that is the situation in Leeds at least)

Females can be spayed even younger with a competent vet with no adverse effects at all and if there is no other choice I certainly would neuter even younger if needs be.
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by newTOcats »

Just to update... I had them neutered at 12 and 13 weeks old and I'm amazed at theit recovery! They came home within a few hours and have acted totally like nothing has happened! So glad I had it done this young. Quicker recovery, can go outside when ready and it's just all done and dealt with and only cost £25 for male and £35 for female, with all pain meds check up etc. It's a special price for early neutering at easi pet care vets. Very impressed! X
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Hunnybunny wrote:6 months is far to late in many cases and any vet that is still recommending this really needs to keep up with the latest data on the issue. I would't take any breeders advice on anything regards cat welfare issues!!!!
Interestingly (and frustratingly) enough Hunnybunny the vet I go to is the same one that my local CP branch use and they neuter quite late. I remember I got Ava neutered earlier than they normally would because she was heavy enough (she's a big breed), but they tend to neuter about 5 months or minimum 2kg mark
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

There are websites that help you find early neutering vets too!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

newTOcats wrote:Just to update... I had them neutered at 12 and 13 weeks old and I'm amazed at theit recovery! They came home within a few hours and have acted totally like nothing has happened! So glad I had it done this young. Quicker recovery, can go outside when ready and it's just all done and dealt with and only cost £25 for male and £35 for female, with all pain meds check up etc. It's a special price for early neutering at easi pet care vets. Very impressed! X
Glad you found a vet who did them early. Letting out is my only issue with neutering young, I still think they should be minimum 6 months as quite often they don't have the sense younger than that
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by newTOcats »

Yes I wouldn't let them out yet,far too small. They often have other ideas tho and dart out only to be retrieved! X