my kitten's deteriorating health, help please!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
smellycat2021
New Cat Chatter

my kitten's deteriorating health, help please!!!

Post by smellycat2021 »

so 4 days back i found 2 kittens without a mom (i am pretty sure she wasn't returning, and there were dogs surrounding the area so i couldnt leave them there alone), i guess the age around 4 weeks old, really skinny, small canines, underweight, brittle fur, i had to feed them buffalo milk(with egg yolk) cuz all the pet food shops are closed here due to covid lockdown, they were doing all fine till today, i found one of them lying down with a yellowish liquid spread on ground (presumably vomit). and he/she is feeling really low and weak. i dont know what to do and am concerned for their health, vet clinics are closed today too! please help!!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: my kitten's deteriorating health, help please!!!

Post by fjm »

I fear it may be feline infectious enteritis, in which case there is probably very little to be done - an emergency vet may be able to help but it will be very expensive with no certainty that the kitten will survive. I would concentrate on keeping the kitten hydrated - a syringe with boiled water or rehydration mix (6 level teaspoons of sugar, .5 level teaspoon of salt, 1 litre of clean boiled water, cooled). If they are not weaned you can buy milk replacer online, and it may be safer for their tums than buffalo milk.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I've no idea with hand rearing kittens but fjm is it possible it could be vomit purely due to the buffalo milk?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Quite possible, Mollycat, but with such young kittens, presumed unvaccinated and very ill very quickly the enteritis springs to mind. Either way hydration and replacement milk will give it the best chance.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

smellycat2021 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:47 am so 4 days back i found 2 kittens without a mom (i am pretty sure she wasn't returning, and there were dogs surrounding the area so i couldnt leave them there alone), i guess the age around 4 weeks old, really skinny, small canines, underweight, brittle fur, i had to feed them buffalo milk(with egg yolk) cuz all the pet food shops are closed here due to covid lockdown, they were doing all fine till today, i found one of them lying down with a yellowish liquid spread on ground (presumably vomit). and he/she is feeling really low and weak. i dont know what to do and am concerned for their health, vet clinics are closed today too! please help!!
Assuming you live somewhere in Britain, could you not pay an emergency visit to the PDSA? Here in Glasgow, they never close. You must have a big heart to take on the kittens. Fingers and toes crossed for a good outcome.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I would also be suspicious of something like Feline Enteritis - while vomiting from rich milk is likely, it probably would have happened sooner

I would be surprised if they live in the UK Issie, don't think we get buffalo milk easily here, and pet shops have all been allowed to stay open as being an essential business.
smellycat2021
New Cat Chatter

Post by smellycat2021 »

thank you for suggestions guys, i finally consulted a vet online, gave them meds, they are better now.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

That's good to hear - what caused the problem, do you know?