Prisoner in her own home

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tilly + Adele
Returning Cat Chatter

Prisoner in her own home

Post by Tilly + Adele »

Due to my mobility problems I was too slow in closing the bedroom window. Tilly escaped @ 6 months old. I was late spaying her due to my health.

She is obviously pregnant now tut tut………… she returned with a bald patch on the top of her head the size of a 5p coin. She isn’t meowing constantly now and sleeping a lot. We are 1 week after her weekend break away.

PROBLEM………..
A Tom cat is yowling outside my window 24/7, he’s taken up residence of my garden. Tilly being small the Tom cat looks more like an elephant to her. I’m 100% sure she’s “with child” this goes against everything I believe in regarding neutering! He looks uncared for and looks rather old.

Every time Tilly goes out she goes missing for 5 to 8 hours. I’m regularly seen walking up and down our road tapping a spoon against a tin of tuna whilst calling out her name
Last night Tilly was found at 2.30am having gone missing for 15 hours. After 2 hours search she was seen in my garden wedged between my green bin and fence. The Tom cat is cornering her, blocking any escape there is.

This Tom cat is becoming a problem in our garden. Tilly just wants peace whilst Mr Stallion Boy is obviously wanting more & more of my Tilly.

Sadly Tilly is now becoming a prisoner in her own home. I have ordered some Get Off Crystals to put by the wall this is all I can think of doing

Any advice

Thank you
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Prisoner in her own home

Post by booktigger »

If you have a tom cat yowling outside your window, there is a chance she isn't pregnant, but either way, I wouldn't be letting her out till she is neutered, even if that means waiting till she has had these kittens and weaned them (which is nearly 5 months). Personally, if this is only 1 week after, I would still be booking her in for neutering, especially if she is only 6 months old, the younger the cat, the more chance there are of complications with birth and them not knowing what to do when they are born, and a C section could easily cost £500.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Accidents happen, don't blame yourself for her condition, but keeping her in now would be a good option until she can be spayed, it won't stop the tom cat yelling but at least she won't be getting hunted down by him so he can have is fun.

The next question is a matter of personal opinion, it has only been a week since she escaped, contact your vet, explain the situation, and there is a good chance they could fit her in to spay her now, and if she is pregnant it will abort any embryos before they develop. However I know some people find the idea of aborting kittens however early abhorrent, if that is the case you need to start making preparations for looking after a pregnant cat for several weeks (I'm not quite sure of the gestation time for a cat), and then looking after the kittens for about 12 weeks after she has given birth and finding homes for them. You mention you have mobility issues, this is something you need to think about when it comes to looking after the kittens when they have been born, once they get moving about they are incredibly quick and can give a fully mobile person a run around. If you really don't want to abort any possible kittens, you really need to start watching and reading all you can on looking after a pregnant cat and then a nursing mum and kittens.

One option you might want to consider is contacting any charities in your area you might find one that can help out, even to the extent of taking Tilly in a week or so before she is due, and then looking after her and her kittens until they kittens are ready to be rehomed, you could then have Tilly back and get her spayed quickly before she goes into heat and the whole thing is repeated. Some charities are willing to do this because they then know the kittens have had a good start in life as opposed to being contacted when they are 6 weeks old to take them in. If nothing else they can probably offer help and advice.

Unfortunately i can't really give any help regarding the tom cat, while he can smell her and knows she is in heat, which can carry on even after she is with kittens for a bit, he will do everything he can to get to her. Letting her out at the moment is just putting her at his mercy no matter what you try.
Tilly + Adele
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tilly + Adele »

Thank you Ruth for your advice, I have a partner who also adores Tilly so he will help her as well. I’m also dead against these web sites selling kittens with not a care in the world where they go.
The penny dropped last week as to why people are advertising mixed breeds on there for as much as £300. I know why they are so expensive……….. after spotting two cats looking exactly the same but advertised by different people. Any reasonable priced tabby let’s say £50-£100 are bought then re-sold.
I cannot profit from an animal so giving the kittens to a rehoming centre is my only option. where homes are vetted out and the owners are loving etc.

I am concerned at her having complications because Tilly is my life but I just don’t think I could take them away from her. I’m gonna get her in at the vets next week and get some advice

Thank you again
Tilly + Adele
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tilly + Adele »

UPDATE:

Just called my vets, I’ve booked her in to be spayed but………only if she’s a week gone. They don’t like aborting kittens as opposed to foetus’s.

Hearing the receptionist advice me of the complications and being equal to a younge teenager in human life isn’t recommended

If the foetus hasn’t properly formed into a kitten then it won’t be performed.

Call out fee for a c section is £100 then the charge for c section . They will only perform this if she has problems which is mostly at night

I will post a picture of Tilly on the main forum, I want someone to roughly age Tilly as I’m really unsure the month she was born

I hope on Monday she’s only a week gone but when I was asked to feel Tilly’s nipples she was concerned hearing they were hard and erect with a circle around them being bald. Maybe she’s more gone than I think

Fingers crossed she can be spayed xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I really do hope your vet will spay her, as looking at the pics on the other thread, she is a very tiny cat and the smaller the cat, the more likely they are to have complications. Cats are pregnant for 9 weeks Ruth. Also, as you are posting pics asking for an age, has she been to a vet since you got her?
Tilly + Adele
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tilly + Adele »

Yes she’s had her vaccinations a while ago and chipped. Monday her appointment is for her to be spayed. But……..if she is 2+ weeks she will keep them. I also want her spayed as well. I feel terrible but at least she’s getting checked