Cat has bloodshot eye

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat has bloodshot eye

Post by Kithra »

Loki seems to have a bad eye. It looks bloodshot and dark and he’s been rubbing it from time to time. It’s closed most of the time but he can open it when he wants to. I’ve been wiping it regularly with water and cottonwool pads. I’ve tried warm water but have to boil the kettle to make it distilled and by the time it’s cool he’s not reachable as he’s usually on top of the wardrobe. I also read somewhere that a very little bit of table salt in the water was a good idea; but on the other hand I’ve read that salt is toxic to cats.

For the last few days he’s also been giving the odd very gentle sneeze and making a snuffling sound from his nose, but not very often. Also, he doesn’t like me to touch that side of his head and face. I wondered if it could be herpes, and he isn’t due his booster vaccination until the end of June.

Two nights ago he brought in a dead mouse and I wondered if the mouse could have scratched him. He also seems to have a bloody-looking bruise just above the eye, although it hasn’t actually bled at all and the skin isn’t broken.

Apart from that he’s still eating and going out when he needs to. It’s hard to tell if he’s being quieter than normal in his behaviour as he always spends most of the day asleep. And in the morning he usually comes to greet me when he hears I’m awake but he hasn’t done that today. However, he’s still got up once I’m up and around.

Can anyone can give me any advice on how to treat it? If it doesn’t improve I’ll see if I can make an appointment with the vet on Monday as I suspect that’s what will be needed.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat has bloodshot eye

Post by Kithra »

Just an update to say Loki went to the vet yesterday and he has conjunctivitis. The vet said he's fine apart from that, and well looked after. He now has some eye drops so hopefully it will clear up very soon.