Hair loss under eye, seeking advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fiestyone
New Cat Chatter

Hair loss under eye, seeking advice

Post by fiestyone »

Hello,

Seeking advice for my girlfriend's 8-10 year old indoor kitty, Bugs, who has hair loss under her eye. My girlfriend does not have enough money to bring the kitty to the vet, so she would like to know what she could do to try to help the critter on her own and hopefully resolve the issue.

Bugs has hair loss under her eye, as shown in the picture. I have witnessed her bite at/groom her paw, and when she did so her paw came very close to the hair-less patch. She has long/sharp claws, so I suspect that she may have possibly scratched herself. This is just speculation though. The issue started as a single hairless patch, but now a second patch has developed next to it.

Bulleted Clues/Info:
-8-10 years old indoor with claws, may have scratched herself
-started as 1 small patch but now 2 small patches
-no change in behavior, no change in litter or diet
-seasonal change currently with windows now open so may be allergies[/list]

Just looking for first steps to try and resolve the issue without an expensive vet visit. Hopefully this is a simple and common issue this community can advise me on.
Attachments
IMG_844A058ACADF-1.jpeg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Hair loss under eye, seeking advice

Post by Mollycat »

I don't mean to sound unkind as you guys clearly love Bugs and want to help her, but the internet isn't a very good substitute for a vet visit. Where do you live, is there any non-profit near you where they treat pets at low cost or free?

Not sure if I'm looking at this wrong or is the picture out of focus at the bald patches?
fiestyone
New Cat Chatter

Re: Hair loss under eye, seeking advice

Post by fiestyone »

The patches are under here right eye and next to her nose (left side of the photo). Sorry that the image is out of focus, she doesn’t sit still.