My cat keeps going at neighbour's home.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
UniBeta
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My cat keeps going at neighbour's home.

Post by UniBeta »

So i just moved in a new home, i defined the cat's space the whole terrace for my feline to enjoy.
but my cat just keeps going at my neighbour's terrace by going on some tiles.
I tried everything to make it stop and i worry alot when it happens.
Is it a problem and should i worry about it? i really can't stop him doing it.

Thanks in advance :D
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My cat keeps going at neighbour's home.

Post by Mollycat »

I don't really think you can stop a cat if he likes it better on the neighbour's terrace.

Do you think he wants to live with your neighbour, or just go and relax there and come home to you every night? Do you worry because he spends time there, or is it dangerous for him on the tiles?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

When you say "going" do you mean visiting or toileting? If your neighbour does not mind I don't think there is a problem; if they do you may need to make your own area more attractive by ensuring there are places to bask in the sun at different times of day, high spots to watch the world, sandy areas for a toilet, etc.
UniBeta
New Cat Chatter

Post by UniBeta »

Mollycat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 am I don't really think you can stop a cat if he likes it better on the neighbour's terrace.

Do you think he wants to live with your neighbour, or just go and relax there and come home to you every night? Do you worry because he spends time there, or is it dangerous for him on the tiles?
I just worry because he isn't on my sight and he could escape easily and get hurt by cars, dogs or simply idiotic people which mistreat the cat.
This morning he came back, but i also expect some discussions with my neighbour as he has a bird cage on the terrace aswell..
UniBeta
New Cat Chatter

Post by UniBeta »

fjm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:22 am When you say "going" do you mean visiting or toileting? If your neighbour does not mind I don't think there is a problem; if they do you may need to make your own area more attractive by ensuring there are places to bask in the sun at different times of day, high spots to watch the world, sandy areas for a toilet, etc.
Visiting, but i think the neighbour minds instead.
As i said he has a cage of birds on his terrace.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

UniBeta wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:11 am I just worry because he isn't on my sight and he could escape easily and get hurt by cars, dogs or simply idiotic people which mistreat the cat.
This morning he came back, but i also expect some discussions with my neighbour as he has a bird cage on the terrace aswell..
Yes it is a worry but unless we are prepared to take away a cat's freedom and keep it in the house which is really just a big cage, it is a risk we accept. I think we all share your fears as cat owners and cat lovers. Where I live my cats cannot go out at all so my choice is a cat in a cage or no cat at all, so I hope Molly is happy with my decision but I still feel sad for her. But for many cats this would not be acceptable.

A few years ago I was on holiday and the owners of the place where we stayed had two pet rabbits who were free to roam as they please all day and had a large enclosed room for the night. I asked the people if they were worried for the rabbits and they told me, the rabbits have a happy life, maybe their life will be shorter because maybe a fox or eagle will catch them and eat them, but at least their life will be free and happy.

It's hard but it's worth thinking about. Safety, freedom, compromise. And a cage full of birds must be his best television channel ever!
UniBeta
New Cat Chatter

Post by UniBeta »

Yes indeed it is, but by reading this i think it isn't a big deal as he comes back.