New cat hasn’t used bathroom 48 hours

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Roos mom
New Cat Chatter

New cat hasn’t used bathroom 48 hours

Post by Roos mom »

Hi! On Sunday afternoon I brought home my first cat. She is about 2 years old and in April was spayed as well as had an abortion as she was pregnant at the time she was brought into the shelter. She has very good temperament and is eating fine and drinking plenty of water .. but in the 48 hours I’ve had her I do not think she has gone to the bathroom, either urinating or going poo. She doesn’t seem to be in pain, and has been in the litter box 2 times that I’ve seen doing what looks like attempting to go, but didn’t. She smells a little milky and her nipples appear to be still swollen from being pregnant. I’ve checked everywhere and no accidents outside the litter box. Her belly appears a little enlarged like she might be constipated. But if constipation why wouldn’t she at least urinate? She keeps meowing too. Please help !!!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat hasn’t used bathroom 48 hours

Post by Mollycat »

Did you ask the shelter about these worries?

Some cats do take time to settle but if she is in the litter box trying to go but not going then that could be a problem. Do you know what type of litter they used in the shelter and did you give her the same?

Cats can get stress incontinence or urinary infections from stress so a vet's opinion might be a good investment. Does the shelter have their own vet? Might be worth talking to a vet who has already seen her while she was in the shelter.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

While it isn't unusual for them not to go for 48 hours, any longer does need checking by a vet. You mention you have seen her in the litter box, have you kept the same kind of litter?
Roos mom
New Cat Chatter

Post by Roos mom »

Thanks for the tips! She finally went last night after a nice petting session to help her relax. I was using the same type of litter.. think the stress of moving had definitely gotten to her, but yay for going!