Toxoplasmosis - Indoor Cat??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kazbo93
New Cat Chatter

Toxoplasmosis - Indoor Cat??

Post by kazbo93 »

We went to the vets yesterday and they believe he has a neurological disorder due to the following symptoms:

- Horner's Syndrome (pupils are different sizes and the third eyelid is protruding on the affected eye)
- Loss of coordination (wobbly walk, unstable on his back legs when he jumps/lands)
- Hoarse voice/meow (sounds very raspy)

Prior to yesterday's visit we had brought him in 2 weeks ago when he was super lethargic, not eating or drinking and first day of the third eyelid showing. I brought him in that day and he had a fever of 105! The doctor assumed it was some sort of infection, gave him a Convenia shot (antibiotic that lasts 2 weeks), some fluids and anti-inflammation shot. We had blood, urine and xrays done. Next day the vet said the blood test showed signs of infection due to WBC count, but it was not clear what it was since we didn't test for anything specific. In the days after his visit he had a stuffy/runny nose, sneezing, coughing that started to get better as the week went on. Then on the Thursday before this week's visit, he wasn't eating much and sleeping a lot more. For 2-3 days he barely touched his food but we assumed it was due to his nose being congested - when I would spoon feed him or leave treats near him, he'd gobble it up. We also figured he was just extra tired due to recovering.

Now we are being told he likely has some inflammation in the brain causing these new neurological symptoms. They suspect (and hope) it's due to a bacterial infection like Toxoplasmosis which can cause a lot of these symptoms and gave us a new course of antibiotics (Clindamycin) for 30 days. IF it's due to an infection, then this is supposed to clear it up and he should start improving in a few weeks. However, they stressed that without further (expensive) testing, it's possible it could be something else like a tumor or *god-forbid* FIP ): -- I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out 1- HOW he could have even gotten Toxo if that's what he has (he's strictly indoors, no other pets and I've never seen a mouse here but yes to roaches and other bugs, he likes to play with them) and 2- what if it's not Toxo and my poor boy is suffering from something more serious that will only get worse while we wait it out ): I'm a wreck
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Toxoplasmosis - Indoor Cat??

Post by Mollycat »

I can't comment on symptoms etc but as far as transmission is concerned, indoor cats isolated from all other cats can most definitely catch toxoplasmosis through not fully cooked meat, and again I don't know but if the danger to pregnant women from litter is transmission to the baby, I would hazard a guess that maybe a pregnant cat could also transmit it to kittens? It's also still recommended indoor cats have their vaccines and regular flea and worm treatments, which means there are still ways they can catch these parasites and diseases. I'm not one to judge by the way, my indoor cats are not vaccinated or worm and flea treated regularly.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Toxoplasmosis - Indoor Cat??

Post by mr_frisky »

One of my cats has intermittent ataxia (wobbliness on hind legs), although none of the other symptoms you mention.

After extensive (and expensive) testing they considered toxoplasmosis and FIP a possibility, but tests ruled them out, considering MUA more likely.

Apparently they say FIP is a possibility almost every time (I know two other people who have been told it is a possibility), but it is rarely the case. It is potentially curable nowadays (with expensive medication). Toxoplasmosis is curable with antibiotics.