Wits End with cat's bladder

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hfishback
New Cat Chatter

Wits End with cat's bladder

Post by Hfishback »

I rescued a bengal ~7 months ago. She's a total sweetie and I really adore her... But she loves to pee on all of my furniture. She has three litter boxes that I clean after each use. She even pees in the toilet on occasion (who knows how she figured that one out?).

The thing is, she just randomly decides to pee around the house. My bed, new futon, loveseat, new cushions... No rhyme or reason to it and it's not regular either (she mostly uses the litter boxes). Doesn't seem to be habitual at all either (not the same furniture).

I use litter attractant. Two different kinds of litter. I have no idea what else to do! I feel like I'm always smelling either cat pee or a enzyme cleaner and I'm at wits end.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Wits End with cat's bladder

Post by Mollycat »

I seem to remember reading that Bengals due to their wild genetic input sometimes go for the human toilet because those wild genes come from a cat that likes to pee in water - don't quote me on that though.

This article might help https://quality-bengal-kittens.com/blog ... 0territory. Interesting that it describes a Bengal's "heightened sensitivity and heightened energy needs" (being part wild and all) and faces boredom as an issue which perhaps doesn't crop up so often in standard cats with litter issues. See through her product advertising and the advice is all there. Good luck! The clickable link "Do I have enough space for a Bengal cat?" goes into more detail about boredom marking.

One of my neighbours feeds the local foxes, and another neighbour has a Bengal cat. The Bengal hangs around and takes food from the foxes, sometimes literally a chicken thigh out of a fox's mouth. They are not just an ordinary domestic cat breed.

Also, maybe don't clean litter boxes after every use? Try doing them once a day if you scoop and a full change every week, and not scrubbing the trays but leave a little of her own scent. Some cats like a spotless tray but others don't.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Wits End with cat's bladder

Post by fjm »

Is it ordinary peeing or marking? The fact that she is choosing to urinate to new things - futon, cushions - suggests to me that there may be an element of scent marking going on, making the territory and anything new that comes into it hers. If that is the case it needs a different approach - it is usually down to feeling anxious and insecure, so getting cross with her may make it worse. Some ideas here: https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice ... ling-house