CKD and general sound advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

CKD and general sound advice

Post by Mollycat »

I mention CKD because that's probably where this crops up most frequently and that's what the article is about. But I think this is well worth some thought in the management of many issues and conditions, including plain old age.
When managing cats with chronic kidney disease (CKD), yes, you still monitor and manage azotemia, blood pressure and urine protein, but there's a whole new realm of client-centered care that dictates how you set your goals. These days, quality of life and maintaining the human-animal bond are the primary focus.
In real life, this looks like:
Ensuring normal interactions with the family
Ensuring normal day-to-day behavioral patterns
from https://www.dvm360.com/view/feline-ckd- ... -your-shot - it's addressed to vets, rather than owners.

Giving our beloved pets as normal a life as we can, to be a cat, and to be part of our family. Making quality of life our absolute priority, and understanding that interference to help make them feel better physically can, for some cats, have other damaging side effects to their quality of life. I know as cat owners we all do, but I know I'm not alone in feeling guilty sometimes when I choose to turn down a perfectly good treatment. I guess this article is professional permission to give these points the high priority they sometimes need.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: CKD and general sound advice

Post by fjm »

It won't open in my browser - if I go to dvm360 I get a security warning or a blank screen...

This link works with my settings - slow to load, but gets there:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190703040 ... -your-shot