Kittens have chlamydia - approaching the breeder

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Fluffybumsmun
New Cat Chatter

Kittens have chlamydia - approaching the breeder

Post by Fluffybumsmun »

Hi All

Newbie here.
I recently got two Kittens from a FIFE registered breeder. Fully vaccinated incl purevax rcpch and neutered
1 kitten had runny eyes and a sniffle when I went to collect which they said had just started and was probably just a bit of a cold.
Anyway I agreed to take both kittens
The next day I took both to my own vet for a check over and the one with a sniffle he gave me some antibiotics and eye drops for - a week later the other kitten started with the same. The first poorly kitten had improved but still sniffleyso both had antibiotics for two weeks.
They both improved and seemed ok -
A week later they started with eye issues again so they went back to the vets and had different drops and antibiotics for two weeks. Again they improved - two weeks later the same happened again so back to the vets we go and they did swabs to find out the cause
Results came back today and chlamydia is the cause so they both now need 6 weeks of antibiotics treatments to clear it
I’m fairly sure the infection came from the breeders as I have no other cats and 1 kitten had issues from the start. I’m also in contact with one other person who had kittens from the same breeder at the same time and she is also having issues with sneezing and runny eyes and have had similar vet treatments to mine.

So my question is this - how do I broach this with the breeder - could it have been avoided, should they be making people aware who have had kittens recently. ( there were kittens from multiple litters all together) I don’t want to go pointing fingers or bad mouthing anyone but I’ve only had the kittens for 2 months and they have had four vet trips and I’ve spent over £500 in vets bills so far. Any advice on this would be appreciated

Thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kittens have chlamydia - approaching the breeder

Post by Mollycat »

I would pick up the phone and tell the breeder the kittens have tested positive for chlamydia, simple as that.

I adopted a retired pedigree stud and he came with his last routine test papers which included a negative test for chlamydia. he had them regularly all his breeding life, along with other routine tests. If this breeder is a genuine person they should be very concerned to hear the news and be falling over themselves to help.