Three Cat's Fighting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
TheThreeSs
New Cat Chatter

Three Cat's Fighting

Post by TheThreeSs »

I'm new here so I hope I've put this in the right place but I really need help with my boys.

I have 3 boys; Simba, Smudge and Salem. Simba, my eldest, I've had since he was 3 months old (About to turn 4 years in July, neutered) and he sired my second boy Smudge (He turned 3 in March and I've been with him since he was born). I recently took in Salem, another boy, (1 year, neutered) who needed a home and he's been here for about 2 months. I did all the introduction steps, he had his own room away from my older boys, he had his own bed space, toys, food and drink space, litter box, I let them all sleep on towels and blankets and then exchanged them for each to get used to the new scents but still, there's no progress.

Suddenly my older boys are continuously fighting with Smudge provoking Simba constantly and I've never had an issue with them fighting before; now Simba is too afraid to even come upstairs where his litterbox and bed are. I've reorganized so things are easier for him but he's not himself anymore, constantly hidden. The only time he comes out is when I'm on my computer or eating so I'm in one place for an extended period of time at which point he clings to me.

When either Smudge or Salem go near Simba now he growls and hides or hisses and runs to me. If either of the elders are near Salem, Salem will just attack them without hissing, growling or meowing. I know it's not playing due to the noises, claws and the behaviour of the cats once separated.

I know it may be selfish but I've bonded so much with Salem but my older two are my babies, I'm terrified I'm going to have to rehome one or two of them. I can't even leave the house without separating the older two and Salem can only come into a separate secluded room because whenever he's around the others he'll attack them but if he's in a secluded room he'll just meow constantly to be let out.

What can I do? I love these boys so much but I'm in tears daily over this and I'm worried about how it will affect their overall health, especially my oldest boy who doesn't appear to be drinking much and using the litter tray less. If nothing works at what point do I throw the towel in and search for homes? That is the absolute last thing I want to happen but it isn't fair on any of them how life currently is.

edit to add: Salem shared his last home with another cat so is adjusted to living with other animals and my ex-partner and I had 5 at one point so the older two are very accustomed to other cats being in their home. Simba is actually my unofficial emotional support animal (unlicensed but this cat has genuinely saved my life, even my doctor has recommended trying to get him liscenced), Smudge is my baby and Salem is honestly the sweetest cat when he's just around humans, constantly purring and sitting on your lap.

Here's my boys just to give this post a little extra attention
image0_2_1_50-min (1).jpg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Three Cat's Fighting

Post by Mollycat »

If you're allowing them unrestricted access to each other and they are fighting, you're not following the introduction steps!

You need to go back some steps. Separate them again completely and start again, only this time, do not go to the next step until they have ball been comfortable and relaxed at the previous step for a whole week. Don't let them all keep making contact and having aggressive negative experiences together, the longer this goes on the harder it will be to undo. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If there was no progress with separation and scent swapping you should not have jumped to letting them make contact. There are lots more steps, letting them sniff through a closed door, feeding either side of the door, very limited supervised time together, all gradually increasing and going back a step immediately as soon as there is any sign of discomfort from any one of them.

I think you've just tried to rush things and you can't. Just go back to the beginning and be prepared to take months over this to do it properly and hopefully you might get a better outcome for all of them.
TheThreeSs
New Cat Chatter

Post by TheThreeSs »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:19 am If you're allowing them unrestricted access to each other and they are fighting, you're not following the introduction steps!

You need to go back some steps. Separate them again completely and start again, only this time, do not go to the next step until they have ball been comfortable and relaxed at the previous step for a whole week. Don't let them all keep making contact and having aggressive negative experiences together, the longer this goes on the harder it will be to undo. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If there was no progress with separation and scent swapping you should not have jumped to letting them make contact. There are lots more steps, letting them sniff through a closed door, feeding either side of the door, very limited supervised time together, all gradually increasing and going back a step immediately as soon as there is any sign of discomfort from any one of them.

I think you've just tried to rush things and you can't. Just go back to the beginning and be prepared to take months over this to do it properly and hopefully you might get a better outcome for all of them.
I never intentionally allow them access to each other, Salem has an unfortunate habit of running out of the door as soon as I open it. The only time they have had access to eachother intentionally was when Salem had been here about 3 weeks, I was with them and supervised them but that's when the fighting began.

I am doing my best to take it slowly and would never intentionally put any of them in harms way or even in a stressful situation, it's just difficult trying to balance a water bowl while a cat is desperately trying to leave the room.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Ah you didn't explain that one keeps getting out. So really you're looking for a way to keep him where he should be, rather than a quick fix to the fighting issues, aren't you? And then what to do about your first two falling out? So Salem's presence seems to be what has triggered the older boys to fall out, I guess if you can remove Salem and keep two closed doors between him and the two then you can see if the two calm down maybe. Do you have enough rooms to keep each one in his own room with hallways etc as a neutral buffer zone, and start everything all over again?