Behavior issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Zarellia
New Cat Chatter

Behavior issues

Post by Zarellia »

Hello,
I am looking for some answer and advice to help my mom’s cat.
History: My cat who is very sweet got out, got pregnant. At 8 weeks my mom took this kitten to me her companion. My mom lives alone has company over regularly.
As a young kitten he was wonderful playful and entertaining. As he got older and started to develop manhood she took him in got him fixed.
His behavior to my mom is very attached. Strangers are fine just leave him be. I have visited my moms home at least 12 times in the last 9months I have two kids who do great with the cat and lately left him be if he was getting agitated.
The last two times we have gone to my moms he will run after my kids attacking mostly my youngest as we come in the door. My kids are calm until he attacks.
We are not sure what to do to help him he has been to the vet recently his physical health is great.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Behavior issues

Post by fjm »

Can you describe how he attacks? It is unusual for cats to be aggressive towards humans unless they feel cornered and unable to escape - more commonly the "attack" is misdirected stalking and pouncing behaviour, the way they play with other cats. Meanwhile I would ask your mother to shut the cat in another room before she opens the door to you and your children, to ensure everyone feels safe.