Which are the most absolutely delicious cat foods?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Which are the most absolutely delicious cat foods?

Post by fjm »

Pippin has cancer, and I want to make his remaining time as comfortable and happy as I can. As his two great pleasures in life are sleeping and eating, part of that is finding foods he will really enjoy. Up till now we have been limited by needing to manage early kidney failure, but I don't think that is too much of a consideration any more. He likes mousse texture and gravy - foods that don't need too much chewing, as his face is uncomfortable from the nasal tumour. Any recommendations for foods that will be delicious, but not so fatty they upset his digestion?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Which are the most absolutely delicious cat foods?

Post by Mollycat »

Molly loves the Gourmet pate and melting heart range, they might be a little on the fatty side but the protein content is not too bad and once in a while if he likes it might be ok.

Recovery foods and renal foods ought to be pretty good as they are formulated for extra palatability and scent. Warm water or seconds in the microwave to bring out the scent for him? Home made bone broth? Fish, liver pate?

Does he tolerate dairy? If he does, I know it's a bit fatty again but that does open up all sorts of options to add flavour and variety.

I am still sending you the biscuits fjm I was waiting for my new vacuum packing and sealing machine to be ... left at the sorting office for me to pick up this morning with my SWMU card. So annoying, just leave it outside the door it's a second floor flat with CCTV and a door entry system for goodness' sake!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

when my Trigger was in his last weeks with an inoperable sarcoma, I gave him some John West dressed crab every day, which he loved

and Gourmet have brought out a new pate food too https://www.purina.co.uk/cat/cat-food/p ... t-cat-food
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think I shall go shopping - have hardly been into a shop for the last 15 months, and it feels extremely adventurous to go over the threshold! There is a WCF place just down the road that has a reasonable range, so I will pop in and get a few to try - Gourmet sound like a good start. Comparing ingredients it is quite hard to beat the Pro Plan renal cans for protein and calorie levels, and he really likes those, so perhaps just enough other things to add variety. And I am working on a chicken mousse recipe for even more treats...

I will wait to try the k/d biscuits till your samples arrive - thanks Mollycat.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly votes for the Gourmet Pate (Fish or Chicken) and the Gourmet Savory Cake
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

What texture is the savoury cake, Alan? At the moment Pip seems to prefer food he can lap, so I am mixing a little water into the pates and mousses to soften them even further - would that work for the cake?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

It's small pieces of soft meat in a thick gravy. Will try and measure the pieces before Tilly hoovers them up tomorrow!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It's shreds isn't it Alanc?

4-Gourmet-Cat-Wet-Gold-Savoury-Cake-Meat-Fish-Variaty-FG-1080x1080.jpg
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I wouldn't really call them "shreds", I think they are chunks of reconstituted meat. They are about 6-10mm long and small enough to be picked up by tongue and swallowed without the need for chewing. I have only been feeding it to Tilly for about a year, after there was a severe local Pate shortage and I had to find something else she would eat.
Jeanette M Medina
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jeanette M Medina »

My cat(cutie) likes cooked sweet potato with tuna fish.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have never managed to convince the cats that vegetables are edible, Jeanette - I can sneak infinitesimal quantities into cooked meat but too much and they just refuse the whole thing. I will try him again with a little tuna, though - it was a favourite last year, and then ignored...
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Fish4Cats do a "Tuna with Seaweed" which Tilly likes as an occasional treat. It is only complimentary food though, so no good for full time eating.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I find mine can be quite fond of the Thrive Complete, they used to love all flavours, but really have settled on the fish ones, both the Tuna with Shrimp and Squid and the Sardine and Mackrel seem to have a lot of liquid in them and are easy to eat, the only problem i have is that I have to buy them from Zooplus, i haven't found anywhere else selling them locally so tend to have to buy quite a few tins at a time, not good when they suddenly decide they don't like a flavour.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly used to like Thrive - indeed it was Thrive I used to tempt her to eat again after her last bout of Pancreatitis, but she seems to have rather gone off it of late. Don't think it would help Pippin, as it does require a bit of chewing.