Pancretitis cat advice? PLEASE HELP I'M WORRIED SICK ABOUT MY CAT

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
EmmaKitty
New Cat Chatter

Pancretitis cat advice? PLEASE HELP I'M WORRIED SICK ABOUT MY CAT

Post by EmmaKitty »

Hi my 15 year old cat was just fine a few days ago then on Monday she stopped eating and drinking and it was the last time she had used the litter tray and I thought something was odd when she stopped responding to her name. All she does now is hide under the bed OR lay in the litter tray which is weird for her. When I touched her she meowed loud and weird like she was in pain. She also completely stopped grooming herself and lost interest in everything.So we went to the vets yesterday morning (wednesday) straight away the vet said she's underweight. Yes I noticed she's been getting thinner and before she lost her appetite she would meow for food a lot. but then just take the smallest nibbles mostly just licking the jelly. Other than low weight the vet couldn't see anything really physically wrong so he took her bloods and he suspects from the results she most likely has pancretitis. I don't know a lot about it I'm trying to research but it does indeed look like that's what it is. We went back today (thursday) she had three injections - vit b, antibiotics and pain relief and an appetite stimulate tablet. and she has been given oralade - chicken flavoured diet supplement via 20ml via syringe every 1 and half hours. And cimetidine half a ml 3x daily. She has to go back tomorrow (friday afternoon) what I'm worried about is I'm not sure how much she can improve by then I'm so scared because the vet said there's no other options after this... except for euthanasia... I'm really hoping the injections and meds kick in I do try offering her food but she has no interest still. The good thing is she did finally wee today after not weeing since Monday and she drank a bit of water. But it hurts to see my girl so weak and slow I would never of believed it if I knew this time last week she would be like this... I suppose its because cats hide their illnesses so well. I feel like she hates us right now trying to give her meds not letting her sleep and hide she even did a deep angry meow i I'd never heard before.. I wish she knew that I am only doing this to help her. So please has anyone got any advice of anything else I can do to help her? anyone have experience with a cat with pancretitis? I haven't slept worrying all I do is cry I miss her so much she means the world to me I really would do anything for her I want her back to her normal happy little self. But I defiantly don't want her in pain or to suffer so do you think I'm doing enough and what else can I do to get her to eat?
Willow22
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Pancretitis cat advice? PLEASE HELP I'M WORRIED SICK ABOUT MY CAT

Post by Willow22 »

Hi. My girl is going through something similar regarding the eating and drinking. This is day two and she is refusing food and water. She was diagnosed with a mass in her abdomen on Tuesday. It is very distressing and I know exactly how you are feeling. I am hoping for some answers from the vet on what to do next x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Pancreatitis is horrible and very painful, but they can recover and you are doing all you can - vet care, keeping her hydrated, etc. Remember that she will pick up on your fear and stress, so the calmer you can make yourself be the better - try breathing exercises, going out for a short walk, anything that helps you stop crying and feel more able to cope. As long as she is getting fluids and some calories through the liquid food I would not worry too much about her not eating voluntarily, just keep on with the treatment prescribed by the vet. Hoping for good news later today.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

If its any comfort to you, my Tilly has had several bad bouts of Pancreatitis. It is frightening how rapidly it develops and how fast she dehydrates. The last time (over 2 years ago now) Tilly was hospitalized and on a drip for a week and I thought she was going to die. She responded to treatment and is now as full of go as an 11 year old cat can be expected to be. So persevere with the meds and your girl should recover.
PS I have a strong suspicion that Tilly's Pancreatitis was brought on by an allergic reaction to Cow milk - she has not had any further bouts since I cut all milk out of her diet, but I am not going to experiment by giving her milk!
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Two of my cats have had pancreatitis, one in 2016, one in 2019 (she really wasn't well and was hospitalised for 3 days). Both are fine now, and haven't yet had a recurrence.
EmmaKitty
New Cat Chatter

Post by EmmaKitty »

Thank you so much for all your lovely responses! I'm very grateful for people reading and replying. I will respond to everyone more tomorrow I am so drained and exhausted physically and mentally and ill just say this quick and explain more tomorrow. My cat now can hardly walk at all so we rushed her to the vet today (she's been 4 days in a row now) and turns out she's also got a blood clot in her left leg!😞 i am so sleep deprived and worried its this constant worry I'm really heartbroken seeing her struggle to walk BUT there is are also some postives she did do a wee on Thursday and she's actually getting her appetite back loving lick e lix eating some dreamies  and some cat food 🙂 she even groomed her face a bit and has started looking at us again and responding to sound. Shes doing her hungry meow again (cat owners you know your cats different meow right? 😊) and her happy meows instead of leave me alone or I'm in pain meows. its hard as anything trying to syringe feed her though!  so we try and  wrap her up like a cat burrito in a towel now lol and it seems to make it a bit easier. Atm i think she's tired I'm tired my partner is tired its been such a crazy week having a cat with 0 health problems then in the same week finding out she has pancreatis and a blood clot!  Also the vet did say its only a small blood clot we have got some medicine to help with pain and try and dissolve the clot. Its only affecting her left leg but her whole body does sway and I do believe despite all this there is hope she's trying so hard and I won't give up on her! The vet said everything else like her heart and eyes and kidneys are great! I do worry she will now always have a bit of trouble getting around but as long as it improves and doesn't get worse the vet said if her back legs hadn't responded to touch or where cold she may have needed to be put down 😔 but he said every paw is warm and responds to touch just her left leg is slower. So we are just going to do out best she's back at the vets on Monday. Anyway this was a lot longer than I was going to say but I feel better getting it all out and I'm very grateful for people who care and I will reply better to you all tomorrow need a few zzzs now though! 🙂
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am sorry she - and you - have been having such a distressing time, but it is good to hear that she is beginning to improve. I hope you manage to get some sleep, and that there is better news tomorrow.