Kitten Depressed with umbilical hernia! Any advice?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mdelay93
New Cat Chatter

Kitten Depressed with umbilical hernia! Any advice?

Post by mdelay93 »

I was hoping someone might have advice to help a kitten with depression I believe caused by an umbilical hernia.. while doing yard work my husband scared a litter of kittens and we found them one by one scattered around the yard so we have taken in a litter of semi-feral kittens so we can find them good home while they're young verses them growing older as feral cats.. around 7 weeks, eyes turning to adult color, full set of teeth and eating soft kitten food without any coaching or problems. All kittens went from hissing and spatting to running under feet and loving attention in just a couple days.. my concern is one of them has a small protrusion at its umbilical cord location which I'm fairly positive is an umbilical hernia. Doesn't seem painful, as I have given each kitten a bath and washed this protrusion also without any problems from kitten. Symptoms of these hernias include a wide range from vomiting, bloody stool, lack of appetite, depression, etc... the kitten seems very healthy, great appetite, no problems with stools or urinating.. so far only concern I see is definite depression. Always by itself and I've never seen it really playing like all the others. I was just hoping to get some advice for helping this little guy be a little happier... umbilical hernias from my understanding are pretty common and most of the time heal up on their own without complications by 4 or 5 months or can be fixed during spay/neuter procedure when old enough but in the mean time does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten Depressed with umbilical hernia! Any advice?

Post by Mollycat »

Good on you for taking them on, 7 weeks is such a lovely age too.

In all honesty I would take a trip to the vets for a check. Being depressed mentally or physically if a hernia isn't a serious issue then something else might be. Otherwise maybe it's just the weak one of the litter and is taking a little longer to grow up?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I agree with Mollycat, I would take all of them to the vet for a check up, despite fostering hundreds of cats/kittens, I've never come across one with an umbilical hernia, but I would wonder if the depression is because of pain/discomfort
mdelay93
New Cat Chatter

Post by mdelay93 »

booktigger wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 am I agree with Mollycat, I would take all of them to the vet for a check up, despite fostering hundreds of cats/kittens, I've never come across one with an umbilical hernia, but I would wonder if the depression is because of pain/discomfort
Thank you guys for the replys.. I have contacted a local low-cost clinic (I'm currently out of work 8½ months pregnant and my husband has taken on all finances) and they agreed to take a look at all the kittens and to help with spay/neuter of strays around our neighborhood we can catch. They are extremely cute and so funny! Hate to see them go but I have a few people willing to adopt this coming up weekend as well. Still working with one to improve her temperament towards humans but they have all warmed up so much and I'm very optimistic about them all finding new homes soon.
Jeanette M Medina
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jeanette M Medina »

All prayers. Get well soon....