indoor cat outdoor

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bsh192
Returning Cat Chatter

indoor cat outdoor

Post by bsh192 »

hi i have two indoor bsh, who were indoor when we lived in apartment. we since this year moved to a house with garden, so fortunately they have some supervised time outside. one of them is quite happy to lollop about with no desire to escape, the other has recently started climbing onto gazebo and wanting to jump into next door's garden.

they are always supervised, but he is somehow super quick to get up/ and on the fence in a split second. i have managed to grab him down on most occasions- but i feel it a matter of time before i miss him. he did fall into the other garden one time and it was a very awkward encounter to get him back from an irritated neighbour

i've stapled up some plastic sheets which deterred him from climbing on the trellis, but its seemed to make him more resourceful to find another way to get up/on.

is there another deterrent? i understand i will have to always supervise them when outside, but its becoming quite exhausting as he makes a B-line for that route.

Not keen on the deterrent collars, that seem to quick a shock when they reach a sensor...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: indoor cat outdoor

Post by Mollycat »

The only way to stop a determined cat from exploring at this age is going to be a secure catproof fence all around your garden, or a section of it, with chicken wire along at least part of the top as well as the sides.

Kittens can be taught a little bit of safety like going off in one direction where there are gardens rather than the other direction where the road is, but not a lot more, and I'm sure your cats would love to be left alone to have fun outdoors as much as you would.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: indoor cat outdoor

Post by Ruth B »

The only way to let them out and not have them explore is to pet proof your garden or to build a catio so they have an area outside that is contained. Pet proofing can be done by yourself or you can pay a professional to do it for you, depending on how good your DIY skills are. About the only other option I can think of is something like a hosepipe on a sensor system, they go in that area a sprinkler turns on, that can be enough of a deterrent to stop a cat, but a determined cat won't be put off easily.

Have you considered letting them have access to outside as and when they want it. Start it slowly, just before a meal and let them wander for 10 minutes or so and then have them back in and give them their meal, i would suggest making sure it is something a bit special to make them realise it is worth coming in for, you can gradually lengthen the time they have outside, until they come and go as they please. If they are exploring by themselves it will also mean they are more likely to learn their way around and to get back home if they wander off.

I've had two cats that were indoor only before i had them and both were about 2 or 3 when i adopted them. By carefully introducing them to the outside they both learnt to enjoy the garden and come and go as they pleased using a cat flap. I am however lucky enough to live on a quiet cul de sac and get on well with all my neighbours, I know that not everyone is as lucky to live in the type of place i do so i can understand people who want to look into alternatives to letting their pets free roam.