Spayed cat problem

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lou21
New Cat Chatter

Spayed cat problem

Post by Lou21 »

Hi, my cat was spayed on Tuesday. She recently had a litter of kittens and had come back in to heat about 7 weeks after they were born, she was kept inside until her surgery. A male cat called daily and nightly. Since the surgery the male cat is still calling. She is clawing at the cat flap to get out to him. Can she still be in heat for a while post op? I’ll be ringing my vet in the morning but I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I found this forum so helpful throughout her pregnancy and whilst I cared for the kittens with her.
Thank you.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Spayed cat problem

Post by Kay »

a bit of googling suggests it is possible for a vet to miss an ovary, becausethey are very small, and that will cause a cat to be in heat, but it can also just be a sign her hormones are still settling down

I think you are going to have to keep her inside for a bit to see = though she can't now get pregnant she needs time to recover from the surgery anyway
Lou21
New Cat Chatter

Re: Spayed cat problem

Post by Lou21 »

Thanks Kay, we’re keeping her in even though vet said she was ok to go out after 24 hours. She’s not happy and I thought she’d have immediate relief after the surgery as she’s been in heat for 3 weeks now. Hopefully it’ll settle soon and she won’t need another operation.