Urine Scalding

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
KittyRose84
New Cat Chatter

Urine Scalding

Post by KittyRose84 »

Hello, I am fostering a pair of kittens and they are sick. Both having some poo issues but one has gotten. Urine/Fecal scalding. I have washed her. Patted her dry and used a zinc free ointment. That seemed to help but it keeps coming back no matter how hard I try and keep her clean and dry. She is roughly four weeks old so still bottle fed (no Mom as she was rescued from flood waters here in Texas). Does anyone have any advice? Maybe something I have not tried? I used water wipes co clean her after she goes potty and I pat her dry after that with a baby wash cloth. I don't know if you have the same Aquaphor ointment over there but that's what I have been using here for her skin. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated. I hate that she is dealing with this on top of being sick. Thank you all in advance.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Urine Scalding

Post by fjm »

I have had good results on sores and chapping with Hypercal ointment (not the cream - the ointment is lanolin based and is much more effective). It contains extracts of Hypericum/St John's Wort and Calendula/Pot Marigold. I know it is safe for adult cats having asked a vet to check it in a veterinary pharmacopia, but it might be worth asking a vet first as the kitten is so young.